KwaZulu-Natal highways to get e-tolls

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This was a given from day 1..

These are not new toll booths though, they're just adding e-tolls to the existing toll booths.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Unlike in Gauteng it would not be an additional toll but simply an alternative means of collecting existing tolls, Sanral KwaZulu-Natal and the Free State regional manager Logashri Sewnarain said.

Another MyBB article heading fail

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
They probably doing this so they can try get most users to switch over to Etags "for convenience" and then more and more toll booths will spring up all over the N2 and N3 and before you know it you have the gauteng Etolls on your freeways.

They have learned from the *****storm they created in Gauteng so they will be trying different methods to get the majority of users tagged before implementation,

Just my 2c worth

elvis_presley

Expert Member
They have learned from the *****storm they created in Gauteng so they will be trying different methods to get the majority of users tagged before implementation,

If this were the case - a sneaky method to eTag everyone before they spring a Gauteng on them, couldn't people just remove the eTags from the cars if they're unhappy?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
If this were the case - a sneaky method to eTag everyone before they spring a Gauteng on them, couldn't people just remove the eTags from the cars if they're unhappy?

Ah but remember once you get an etag and register, you've agreed in writing to their terms and conditions.

ToxicBunny

They probably doing this so they can try get most users to switch over to Etags "for convenience" and then more and more toll booths will spring up all over the N2 and N3 and before you know it you have the gauteng Etolls on your freeways.

Just my 2c worth

Its potentially an option..

But understand, that the biggest ballache Toll Booth in Durban at least, is the Marianhill one, and most people just avoid it anyway.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Ah but remember once you get an etag and register, you've agreed in writing to their terms and conditions.

I had a quick gander at them - you can cancel your eTag and close your account, terminating the agreement at any time. Even more effective than pretending to lose your eTag :)

zululami

Banned
In KZN we don't take b*llsh*t lying down... They won't even lay one brick of that e-toll nonsense !!!

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Its potentially an option..

But understand, that the biggest ballache Toll Booth in Durban at least, is the Marianhill one, and most people just avoid it anyway.

Whenever I have come down to Durban I have never really had much issue with the Marianhill toll plaza. Maybe I'm just lucky.

ToxicBunny

Whenever I have come down to Durban I have never really had much issue with the Marianhill toll plaza. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Oh its simple and easy to use, but most people just use the M13 to get passed it.. it only adds about 3kms and 5 minutes to the journey.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I had a quick gander at them - you can cancel your eTag and close your account, terminating the agreement at any time. Even more effective than pretending to lose your eTag :)

The biggest problem for SANRAL in Joahnnesburg is getting people tagged and all I am saying is this may be a ploy in order for them to get people tagged up before they implement an Etoll type system in KZN.

you would probably have less people cancelling the Etags once they have signed up, than people signing up for etags if the system was rolled out like in Gauteng.

I wo

Dlamaqhinga

Expert Member
They must implement this on all tolls, so cut the waiting time we experience in December and Easters.

FNfal

Executive Member
Feck them , on principal i will never make things easier for them , even if it inconveniences me .

Guantanamo

Expert Member
If the massive clusterf**k of e-tolls in Gauteng hadn't happened I would probably say this sounds like a good idea but now I'm not so sure.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
If the massive clusterf**k of e-tolls in Gauteng hadn't happened I would probably say this sounds like a good idea but now I'm not so sure.

This is different to Gauteng eTolls - the big problem there was the new tolls and extra money users had to spend. This (as it stands) is just modernizing the current system.