KwaZulu-Natal woman mauled by her pet pit bulls

Cosmik Debris

Executive Member
No, I work in court. This is a discussion, in a discussion one is allowed to have and present an opinion as an opinion, everything anyone says here does not need to be 100% provable, it can be an opinion. That is social discourse, what is wrong with that?

Unless you can prove an opinion, it remains anecdotal. Working in a court you surely understand that? Or are you the cleaner with lots of time to spend on social media?

Social discourse is what you do with your buddies around a braai, not with strangers discussing serious subjects on a forum.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I've always liked dogs generally, and have been very fond of a few in particular i.e. family pets even the very big dogs, but I've honestly never had the urge to get one of my own as a pet.

I think the only breeds I'd personally choose though is a Belgian Malinois or maybe a Staffy. But hell even those I'd be nervous letting them around kids and such even if they were my own dogs.

And for me I've always had a thing about challenging other peoples dogs at tug-o-war and never losing :) I'm pretty good at that lol, and I've consistently won against both a cross boerbull-rottweiler and big german shephard (other family pets) so I reckon I'm the alpha dog :p

I came across what I was told was an American Pitbull long time ago once, can say I didn't like that dog's demeanor one bit. Extremely aggressive and you had to control your body language around it all the time. Obviously can't say the same for all though on just one account.

And then you get those rottweilers that want to maul you and literally go cross-eyed with anger behind the fence at just your presence, I just want to bloody kick the thing in the face (no offense to animal lovers). Obviously I wouldn't unless I had to. But surely it's the owners that allow that sort of behavior from their pets?

Last edited:

Bonywasawarrioraway

18 in most countries, including SA.
no argument. in some states however one cannot legally drink until age 21. In those same states one can die for country at 18. weird world.
Except:
When I was twenty I bought my first car. on HP. My father had to co sign because I was not twenty one. I earned more than my father at the time.
So if it is 18 in RSA it has changed since 1986. We have a new constitution since then so its entirely possible.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Unless you can prove an opinion, it remains anecdotal. Working in a court you surely understand that? Or are you the cleaner with lots of time to spend on social media?

Social discourse is what you do with your buddies around a braai, not with strangers discussing serious subjects on a forum.
Not sure about this but as far as I am aware but opinions are not anecdotal per se.. Also an opinion by definition cannot be proven. i think.

Cosmik Debris

Executive Member
I did law in the late 70s when I was in the BSAP. I learned to be wary of Uzis at the same time - I am wary of any fixed firing pin weapon, sten guns are worse and we had a weapon called the Rhogun that was terrible.
Shaggable is at 16 is it not?

Depends where you are. France has raised it from 13 to 15 recently.

Bonywasawarrioraway

What PERCENTAGE of pitbulls kill people?
by some accounts, as many as get the opportunity. It is equally useless to ask "what PERCENTAGE of people are killed by pitbulls"

There are far too many variables to look at it like that.

Simplest version of the dialectic is that a man made ie genetically modified organism that has no real purpose is reported to kill / main people and other living organisms on an alarmingly regular basis.
Do we need pit bulls? we don't have to kill them, lets just not make any more.

Supervan II

Expert Member
Who's up for a game?
1de5edd95a59d4ebe7e8d19adcfb3695.jpg
BINGO! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

And for a bonus:
1619788066134.jpeg

Supervan II

Expert Member
I spent 14 years as an officer in the sadf/sandf. virtually all my appointments were as weapons officer. I was once very nearly shot on a firing range by a national serviceman who turned to show me that his weapon would not fire as he was pulling the trigger....
Same here, only I was to his left and he was holding his right-handed with his left hand raised. If the range officer did not push it away from me I would have been shot as it just started firing away!

ETA: basics @ SAS Saldanha, Jan to Mar 1978

Last edited:

Bonywasawarrioraway

First off, LOL for above quote! That is funny. Main people....whahaha!

Secondly, I do not think you know the difference between a GMO organism and a bred-for-purpose animal.... :unsure:
I question whether there is really a difference. One takes place in a laboratory the other in selective breeding. The purpose of both processes is the same.. Occasionally the result is the same too.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Same here, only I was to his left and he was holding his right-handed with his left hand raised. If the range officer did not push it away from me I would have been shot as it just started firing away!

ETA: basics @ SAS Saldanha, Jan to Mar 1978
Exactly the same. Only I was the firing point officer. He was on the extreme right of an eight man firing detail. he turned to his left through the whole detail towards me. It took me that long to reach him. He could have killed us all. All it would have needed was a fraction more pressure on the butt safety.

Continuation training. red hill firing range Simonstown circa 1988

Bonywasawarrioraway

First off, LOL for above quote! That is funny. Main people....whahaha!

Secondly, I do not think you know the difference between a GMO organism and a bred-for-purpose animal.... :unsure:
should have been maim people. But you are right main people is funnier.

Baise

Are you telling me that between 2005 and 2017 that pitbulls had only killed 284 people?

How many pit bulls are there in America?
I'm not sure what your point is ?

It's just a statistic showing the kill ratios of different breeds of dogs.
Defenders of Pit Bulls will always find an angle to diminish the facts.
Read into it what you want.

People also keep highly venomous snakes as pets - It's all shits and giggles until someone gets bit.
Whatever floats your boat.

rh1

Expert Member
Dont banned the dogs but restrict them - i.e. similar to gun license, potential owners must go through an mental assessment and training course, and once they receive the puppy, they and the puppy should go for training. This should theoretically remove the unsuitable person/s from owning the breed. Not everyone should own these dogs, in fact most large powerful breeds should have the same requirements. Additional requirements would be that the property is suitable for such a powerful breeds.