Kwesé Play tested – Solid offering with lots of potential

Marius Flash

Expert Member
Interesting !
“We had a list of 5,000 channels to choose from, and we narrowed it down to 100 for now. We will grow the content offering exponentially over time,” said Solovei.
It will be interesting to see what the company has waiting in the wings, as its corporate parent Econet Media operates a significant bouquet of TV channels outside South Africa – including live sports channels.As part of the Kwesé Play launch in South Africa, not all apps on the standard Roku platform will be available initially.
Kwesé Play CEO Ryan Solovei said this was done for several reasons, including to prevent the installation of apps that enable piracy. This is a big concern for content owners, and something they had to address.
Android - Good
Kodi - Doubtful
Sports channels - great ( content ? )

Price - Not bad

I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole, ignoring that it's an even more locked down Roku, hurl, econet is dodgy as **** and that's **** in capital letters.

furpile

Expert Member
I still have the old roku stick that has been running for a few years now. But when I upgrade it will be an android box. The roku platform is already locked down, this is an even more locked down version of that. I will rather get an Android box and install whatever I want.

I hope these guys make it but there have been too many of these startups that fold after a while. What do you do with that box then? And why not base it off an Android box?

Marius Flash

Expert Member
. I will rather get an Android box and install whatever I want.
And why not base it off an Android box?
I agree. Whatever we want to install is what we want, not to be dictated what we can and cannot have - like DSTV !
DSTV would still be great contenders if they will just open their ears and give the subscribers what they want - their own selection of channels, and then charge per channel - simple ! Keep your Damn stupid bouquets !

neoassasin

If it allows screen mirroring would you be able to play Supersport and DSTV now from your phone?

mister

Executive Member
Interesting... Been a Roku user for many years, so hopefully this means we will get support for the local streaming offerings eventually

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I dont see this as a bad thing for everyone.
I have a Roku and they are super solid for what I need from it. My wife uses it 99% of the time so I want something that is responsive and doesnt give problems, I assume most users would be like that.
I have an android media player for messing around with the other stuff but my wife reaches for the roku remote long before she reaches for the android one because the experience is worlds apart.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
If the apps that won't work here, im not able to be able to remove them, then its a straight no thanks from me