KZN Councillors Owe R1.7M in Rates

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
KwaZulu-Natal councillors owe the municipalities they represent more than R1.7 million in unpaid rates and services, the Democratic Alliance said on Friday.

DA spokesman George Mari said this had been revealed in a reply in the legislature to questions put by the DA.

"According to the April 2013 reply from the provincial co-operative governance and traditional affairs (Cogta) department, Newcastle councillors are the worst of the lot, with a massive R522,000 outstanding.

"Ethekwini and Msunduzi follow, with R156,000 and R132,000 owed respectively," he said.

None of the amounts were owed by DA councillors.

Mari said the errant councillors -- some of whom, he said, owed more than R10,000 -- were setting a poor example.

"Failure to meet their own basic obligations to their municipalities suggests that they are not worthy to serve in that capacity."

He urged KwaZulu-Natal Cogta MEC Nomusa Dube to take action against the councillors.

Source : Sapa /js/jk/gq/rod
Date : 12 Apr 2013 15:14

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Hmmmm whats good for the goose and all that..

I think I should stop paying rates.

Recruitsmiths

And I don't suppose their services have been cut of?
Or interest has been levied on their outstanding accounts?

Mila

Honorary Master
Pisses me off, I get gut off because an idiot can't read. But these fukkers just get away with it. What will happen? Hai shame it's apartheid's fault. Write the debt ogg.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Hmmmm whats good for the goose and all that..

I think I should stop paying rates.

I missed a payment on my lights/water account, was on holiday and I was at fault for sure. The amount went unpaid for 1 month and about 3 days, the same time I realized my error. I immediately did a transfer for current and overdue amount and phoned the municipality, they said tough **** we cut you off today. Got home no POWA!

I was at fault, no problem, although I thought it harsh as there was no call or sms, nothing to offer a friendly reminder.
The overdue amount was for less than R1000. They have over R5000 of mine in a deposit by the way.

Never the less, how is it thus possible that people can run up massive overdue balances without the swift 'justice' I was subjected to?