KZN: Father on the run after four children found “hanged” at home

Daruk

Honorary Master
Do you really think that someone who murders their children is thinking rationally so as to think of the consequences
if his actions?
It takes quite a number of significantly planned events to get to the end result, particularly since this is a multiple murder, so no, they are not likely insane and not in control of their faculties. No doubt they are being driven by emotions, but their lack of self control is not an excuse. That's a skill we all need to exercise. Why should they be excused? It's something you have to learn from young.

I've been angry enough to kill someone at multiple points in my life. I chose not to. I am capable, as are you, as was he.

Cray

Honorary Master
It takes quite a number of significantly planned events to get to the end result, particularly since this is a multiple murder, so no, they are not likely insane and not in control of their faculties. No doubt they are being driven by emotions, but their lack of self control is not an excuse. That's a skill we all need to exercise. Why should they be excused? It's something you have to learn from young.

I've been angry enough to kill someone at multiple points in my life. I chose not to. I am capable, as are you, as was he.
I never mentioned insanity or excusing him, you don't have to be insane to not consider the full ramifications of your actions.

Last edited:

Ponderer

Expert Member

Well said.

Ponderer

Expert Member
has the suspects details been published so the community can 'assist'.
Excellent idea/suggestion.
100% support it.

<edit>
Maybe he has already been found, and being "prepared" for delivery.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
I never mentioned insanity or excusing him, you don't have to be insane to not consider the full ramifications of your actions.
Then what was your point exactly because I missed it. Hopefully you weren't excusing him or advocating for a light sentence?

Cray

Honorary Master
Then what was your point exactly because I missed it. Hopefully you weren't excusing him or advocating for a light sentence?
My point is that the death penalty is no more a dettarent than a life sentence. No excuses and no light sentence - he should spend the rest of his on jail but arguing that criminals will not do certain things because they are afraid of getting executed is ridiculous and is not supported by any studies.

Daruk

Honorary Master
My point is that the death penalty is no more a dettarent than a life sentence. No excuses and no light sentence - he should spend the rest of his on jail but arguing that criminals will not do certain things because they are afraid of getting executed is ridiculous and is not supported by any studies.
So in a cut and dried case like this is likely to be, what are the differences between the death penalty and life imprisonment practically in your opinion?

All I see is that you agree that society should pay taxes to feed and clothe him until the day he dies.

Cray

Honorary Master
So in a cut and dried case like this is likely to be, what are the differences between the death penalty and life imprisonment practically in your opinion?

All I see is that you agree that society should pay taxes to feed and clothe him until the day he dies.
That's what civilized societies do... lots of "cut and dried" cases in the states had people being sentenced to death who later turned out to be innocent. It's pretty difficult to un-execute someone if it turns out a mistake was made.

SAguy

Expert Member

In the states it costs more to execute someone than life in prison does, not sure if it's the same here - or would be at least.

SAguy

Expert Member
It probably would be... appeal and legal fees and and and and...
In the states the average time spent on death row before execution is something like 15 years, and in SA life sentenced inmates are eligible for a parole hearing after 25 years.... so in a worse case scenario a death penalty would include not only all the costs off the trail but potentially also 15 years of "clothing and feesing" the inmate anyway.

Maybe our justice is swifter and time on death row is much less.

Daruk

Honorary Master
That's what civilized societies do... lots of "cut and dried" cases in the states had people being sentenced to death who later turned out to be innocent. It's pretty difficult to un-execute someone if it turns out a mistake was made.
How many is 'lots of' again?