KZN pupil jailed for hijacking and trying to drive over female teacher

sandwitch

Long time ago, if you fail any of the higher grades (St.8 - St.10) more than twice you would get sent to college to complete your matric certificate. How on earth can you allow a grown ass man to still attend school with children??
You're only allowed to fail someone 1x in each phase and even with that you have to prove to the education department they can't move up a grade. There are also limits to the number of learners you're allowed to fail in each grade. So even if someone can't do the work they get pushed through. They get frustrated because they can't learn, their bad behaviour and frustration escalates...
And because the department values diversity it disregards things like the developmental age of pupils and lumps them all in together in the same class.

I'm glad the 24 year old was convicted.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Yes Red Vikings comment had nothing to do with government, it was about the circumstances sorrounding the overage learners, but go on and make an argument about government, I am not interested.
One of my aunts went back to high school at the age of 32. 5 years of hard work (I presume) later, she emerged with a matric certificate.

RedViking

Nord of the South
They should still provide an avenue for these older "pupils" to complete schooling as it is obvious they aren't for regular school. It is too bad vocational schools have been all but destroyed. Most kids would be better served learning a useful trade than sitting in class all day long.
+1 for a trade. But in a township you can't have nice things. Workshop's will get robbed clean the first week.

Zophos

May I propose a solution for the "scholars" that reach that age?

Let's extend the abortion age to 18 years. This way if a "scholar" fails to have at least grade 10 when he/she is 18 years of age, his parents can still abort it and start over.

Alternatively, if the "scholar" is failed a second time, it might be a good alternative to then recommend moving him/her to a Technical School or Learning disability School (A Skills Training School/institution if you will)

ForceFate

Honorary Master
May I propose a solution for the "scholars" that reach that age?

Let's extend the abortion age to 18 years. This way if a "scholar" fails to have at least grade 10 when he/she is 18 years of age, his parents can still abort it and start over.

Alternatively, if the "scholar" is failed a second time, it might be a good alternative to then recommend moving him/her to a Technical School or Learning disability School (A Skills Training School/institution if you will)
That would still require some class attendance. Some of these "kids" don't want that.

access

Executive Member
This narrative of everyone wanting a cushy office jobs looks like a load of BS to me, most probably a story peddled by old people just to push the notion that they are better than today's youth.
its a generalisation. this is worldwide and you can find articles about it.

i know some people that were giving trade classes, 90%+ didnt care to be there

thechamp

Honorary Master
KZN pupil jailed for 17 years for trying to run over teacher

A 24-year-old KwaZulu-Natal pupil has been sentenced to 17 years in jail for assaulting his teacher, dragging her out of her car and trying to run her over.

Department spokesperson Kwazi Mthethwa said the department welcomed the sentence, which the KwaZulu-Natal High Court in Pietermaritzburg imposed on November 25.

The crimes were committed on August 12.

Supervan II

One of my aunts went back to high school at the age of 32. 5 years of hard work (I presume) later, she emerged with a matric certificate.
Believe me it isn't easy! Especially not if you have a day job too.

I was taken out of school at the end of Std 8 (Grade 10) when I was only 15 and sent off to work.

13 years later I signed up at the local college for night classes - and passed my matric at age 30. Students were aged between 18 and 45 (all doing their matric) - most were in their early 20's, though.

Thereafter it was off to Technikon for more night classes for me ...

A 24-year-old KwaZulu-Natal pupil
Should have been in college from age 20 ...