KZN pupils return from holiday to find tombstone erect in classroom

schumi

Honorary Master
Pupils from a school in uMzimkhulu have had to be relocated after a tombstone was laid inside one of the classrooms earlier this month.

It's understood Mthwane Senior Secondary School was built on an old grave site belonging to a local family.

The KwaZulu-Natal Education Department says the family erected the tombstone in the first week of January.

The department says it was made aware of the matter - but add the family hadn't presented proof of ownership of the site.
More at : https://www.ecr.co.za/news/news/kzn-pupils-return-from-holiday-to-find-tombstone-erect-in-classroom-/

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Ke....

So now its legit to randomly bury people in schools.... this is awesome.

Supervan II

Look on the bright side: at least it wasn't burnt down or completely stripped by thieves ...

schumi

Honorary Master
More info

. Durban - Imagine going on holiday and returning to find a tombstone inside your classroom.

This was the situation at Mthwane Senior Secondary in the Umzimkhulu area last week.

The school was built on a farm in 1996 after the owner left the area. Community members contributed R250 each to build one classroom at a time because there was no high school nearby.

As more people moved into the area, the Education Department got involved and brought in more teachers.

Today the school has 400 pupils in 10 classes, while on the grounds are three other graves.

The locals said all was well until last year, when a woman arrived claiming to be a beneficiary of the land.

The woman, who would not be named, said it was her grandfather who was buried in the classroom. She said the department was made aware of the grave when the school was built.

“That’s my grandfather in that grave. He is buried on his farm where my grandmother as well as their child are also buried.

“The fact that there are other graves at the school is a clear indication that the land was used as a burial site.

“We are from Kokstad and my grandfather was given that farm in Umzimkhulu when people were given their land back,” she said.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/news/kwazulu-natal/a-tombstone-in-the-classroom-kzn-school-pupils-creepy-back-to-school-discovery-40900432

Jabulani22

Expert Member
We should definately take this family's word and give them their land back , who needs proof , why would they lie.
Also my ancestral land is where the union buildings sit .

access

Executive Member
really... a school... your grandfather should be proud that hes contributing towards educating the people

need the undertaker to dish out some tombstones around the place

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Expropriation without exhumation

What difference does it make for proof of ownership.

I can provide proof of ownership but that won't count if they want my land expropreated.

Sollie

Executive Member
We should definately take this family's word and give them their land back , who needs proof , why would they lie.
Also my ancestral land is where the union buildings sit .
Like Smuts House in Irene? Except detailed land records were available.

It's a game to some because nobody guilty looses out if ousted, yet wins everything if successful. All costs to be borne by the land owner, guilty or innocent.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
Like Smuts House in Irene? Except detailed land records were available.

It's a game to some because nobody guilty looses out if ousted, yet wins everything if successful. All costs to be borne by the land owner, guilty or innocent.
So what you are saying is my claim will be paid for by the government ?
Where do i start my journey to plaza Jabulani (new name once i own them) ?