[KZN] SA Weather Service issues heavy rain warning

Hephaestus

Forging
Efforts in vain as M4 washed-away yet again

Progress made with the repair of the M4 after a recent wash-away due to heavy rains has been set back indefinitely following yesterday’s rains.

Construction crews arrived at the site of the repair this morning to find that the road had yet again washed-away.
Senior Superintendent Parboo Sewpersad of the Durban metropolitan police service said that it was unclear exactly how long it would take to have the road in a working condition.

According to Sewpersad, headway was being made with the repairs and the M4 was due to be operational again before the New Year.
Sewpersad said members from the Transport Department, Metro and various engineers will be meeting at the site this morning to discuss the damages.
He urged road users to remain patient and plan their trips accordingly and ahead of time.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I did think the rain would set them back a week or so maybe, I didn't think it was bad enough to wash it away...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Bad workmanship is my bet, the rains have not been that heavy
I think the timing was piss poor as well... another week and they would have been able to handle it...

I saw a photo from last week Thursday, and the drainage pipe (a best of a thing) was only being delivered to site then... so chances are it hadn't been installed by the time the rains started...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The first thing they should have fixed was the drainage/cause of the problem before just trying to build a new road over it.
To be fair to them, they hadn't got to building the new road...

They were busy shoring up the sections needed, and had delivered new drainage piping for the project...

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
That's bad news.

"Boss, we haff ein problem"
"Vass?"
"Ze road haff vashed avay"
"********!"

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I just had a look outside, I see there is some water standing in my back yard. Looks like there's going to be more reports of flooding in problem areas today

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I just had a look outside, I see there is some water standing in my back yard. Looks like there's going to be more reports of flooding in problem areas today
Yup, we may have a few issues in the next day or so with the rain staying around for awhile.

dabbler

Expert Member
My rain gauge is up to 90mm since yesterday evening when I emptied it, and it doesn't seem to be over yet. Glen hills, Durban.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
My rain gauge is up to 90mm since yesterday evening when I emptied it, and it doesn't seem to be over yet. Glen hills, Durban.
Its not over yet, there is lots more to come tomorrow from what the predictions are showing...

mister

Executive Member
60mm last night
a further 65mm until 14:00
durban north