Lamborghini trapped at 251km/h

Nokkie

Executive Member
From News24.com

WTF are these so-called 'drivers' thinking ? :confused: :mad:

Hope the authorities lock him up with Bubba for a nice evening in the cells :D

Johannesburg - Metro police arrested five motorists on Sunday for speeding - including a Lamborghini driver doing 251km/h in Midrand.

Along with the luxury-car owner, metro police arrested the drivers of a Peugeot and a Porsche driving at more than 180km/h on the N14 in Midrand.

Inspector Edna Mamonyane said: "The Lamborghini driver was very calm, and praised metro police for the way they handled him."

The trio was taken to Muldersdrift police station and were due to appear in court on Monday.

On the N1 in Kliprivier, metro police arrested the drivers of an Audi and a Nissan Sentra, driving at 184km/h and 195km/h respectively. On Friday, along the same stretch of freeway, three BMW drivers and a VW Jetta driver were arrested for speeding.

The three BMW drivers were clocked at speeds of more than 200km/h.

Mamonyane said: "A request will be sent to the asset forfeiture unit for the drivers' vehicles to be sold."

During a roadblock with the SAPS on the N12/N1 split on Saturday, metro police impounded 14 minibus taxis for being unroadworthy.

They issued 122 fines, arrested one drunken driver, another person for possession of dagga and one wanted suspect.

Mamonyane warned motorists to expect more such roadblocks during the festive season.

atleast they are doing something about these unroadworhty crap taxis drving arround in town

Koos Custodiet

They should limits cars to being able to do 120km/h...

Yes, because if we make enough laws we will all live in a nice warm fuzzy safe country and nobody would ever be hurt and we will all be happy people thinking happy thoughts happily together.

You, like many other sadly misguided fo^H^Hpeople, have been brainwashed into thinking that someone exceeding 120 km/h is dangerous to society and should be locked up, while someone doing 60km/h in the centre lane is a fine upstanding citizen and should be rewarded.

Speed is not the problem.

But then, speed is the one that's easy to enforce. And because that soundbite, "speed kills", has been repeated so many times, people are brainwashed to believe it.

So yea, lock up people who speed, limit cars to 120 (or whatever someone decides is a nice warm fuzzy safe speed), and then nobody would have to think, and we'll all be nice and happy and safe.

Koos

jontyB

Expert Member
Yes, because if we make enough laws we will all live in a nice warm fuzzy safe country and nobody would ever be hurt and we will all be happy people thinking happy thoughts happily together.

You, like many other sadly misguided fo^H^Hpeople, have been brainwashed into thinking that someone exceeding 120 km/h is dangerous to society and should be locked up, while someone doing 60km/h in the centre lane is a fine upstanding citizen and should be rewarded.

Speed is not the problem.

But then, speed is the one that's easy to enforce. And because that soundbite, "speed kills", has been repeated so many times, people are brainwashed to believe it.

So yea, lock up people who speed, limit cars to 120 (or whatever someone decides is a nice warm fuzzy safe speed), and then nobody would have to think, and we'll all be nice and happy and safe.

Koos
You should come with me one night on police reservist duties. You'll soon sing a different tune. Speed kills, whether misguided fo^H^Hpeople like you want to accept this is a different story.

jontyB

Expert Member
#define MODE DEVILS_ADVOCATE

One night? Are you sure it's not the darkness that kills?

Koos
I tend to work nights as a reservist but people die on our roads all the time because of morons speeding. Anyway, you sound like a speedster so it's kind of pointless arguing with you

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Re-adjust the licence laws, standard licence you may only drive up to 1.6 size motor, advanced driver certificate required to purchase or drive anything above and beyond 1.6, half the problem is young tossers in cars too big and powerful for their driving ability, or their driving experience.

jontyB

Expert Member
Re-adjust the licence laws, standard licence you may only drive up to 1.6 size motor, advanced driver certificate required to purchase or drive anything above and beyond 1.6, half the problem is young tossers in cars too big and powerful for their driving ability, or their driving experience.
Yes. The other half is unlicensed folks driving around.

Leitmotif

Expert Member

Similar to the motorcycle laws, then? 1.6 is too large though, a lot of the problem is guys in 1.4-1.6 golfs trying to prove they're hard.

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master

I sort of agree, however this opens up the way for exploitation. They could make a fortune from advanced drivers certificates.

I would say that a better solution is that you have to have at least 7 years of driving experience in order to own a car rated at more than 80kW (The 1.6i thing won't work, Mini Cooper S produces 120-odd kW. Nothing would stop inexperienced drivers from slapping turbo's onto their 1.6's)

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Sorry, dont follow , or interested enough in cars to pick up on the Kw's output of the various small vehicles, but yes maybe something like the motorcycle laws, and a time limit on driving experience may work

jontyB

Expert Member
Similar to the motorcycle laws, then? 1.6 is too large though, a lot of the problem is guys in 1.4-1.6 golfs trying to prove they're hard.

Usage based motoring. The insurance industry can drive it, and they do drive it in other countries. In the US, minimum age for driver's licenses is 16, but fewer road accidents because of 3 things: traffic law enforcement works, few people drink and drive and they're a lot stickier with speed limits there than here. And if you're caught driving recklessly or busted DUI or are at fault in an accident, it goes on your Insurance Record.

icyrus

Executive Member
They should limits cars to being able to do 120km/h...

I think an artificial limit like this at the speed most people drive at would be a mistake as it would create problems in certain situations.

You should come with me one night on police reservist duties. You'll soon sing a different tune. Speed kills, whether misguided fo^H^Hpeople like you want to accept this is a different story.

The speed kills thing is a true in a way, but not really how its commonly used.

While the chance of serious or fatal injury increases with speed, the same cannot be said about the chance of having an accident. There are many more factors involved then just speed.

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Sorry, dont follow , or interested enough in cars to pick up on the Kw's output of the various small vehicles, but yes maybe something like the motorcycle laws, and a time limit on driving experience may work

The problem is, people want to look big. Can't remember how many guys in high school came short on their little 50-150cc 'piskriek' bikes. You can't expect that regulating the object is going to help, when it's clearly th behaviour that is the problem.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Problem is could the insurance industry handle a system like that here?

stoke

Honorary Master
If speed really kills, AND if the policing was really there to save lives, then the speed limit would be 30km/h everywhere.

Lies lies lies deception and the leading of the cash cow to maturity.

Sure ... one lambo / uno turbo is handed over, but the perp is not actually helped - they don't even force him to take advanced driving lessons or do community roadside work.

It's all lies and deciet under the slogan -- speed kills.
Bullets kill, nailguns kill, crossbows kill, cars kill, neglegence kills, wars kill ...

bleugh

I failed to provide a suggestion - so:

I suggest that ALL the laws be upheld. They're all supposed to be upheld, not just the speeding laws. I don't want to see a single unroadworthy car on the road. I don't want to see a single alcaholically incensed person on the road. I don't want to see a single person jumping a robot or stopstreet, nobody cross a solid white line, and the next person driving in the yellow lane I have full permission to film and report to the authorities.

I don't want to see one failing robot, or one pothole in the road, or one unmarked strech of road or one unlit strech of road. I don't want to see problem areas being "fixed" with rumble strips or flashing lights or chevrons, I want proper solutions put in place like redesigning the enrite problem area. I don't ever want to see 4 lanes become 3 lanes and then wonder why there is a traffic jam there every flippin day, day after day, with NO action being done about it. I don't want to ever see them spenging a fortune on cameras to monitor the highway and then say that the cables were stolen - how do you steal the cables when a camera system is watching?

This is all blatent misdirection.

Untill ALL the road laws are upheld, they are not achieving their goals.

Last edited: