Lamborghini trapped at 251km/h

jontyB

Expert Member
Just like last week I went to the police station to report a guy skipping a stop street and nearly taking me out. Even though I had a witness, and a Photo I took of the guy as he drove away, I was told they couldn't do anything since they are not traffic police
In such a case please request to speak to the station commander immediately, just requesting this should spring them into gear. If the station commander does not assist you, please phone 0860 13 0860 and report poor service.

//Edit: just a note, you are permitted to remain anonymous in all your communique with the SAPS.

Last edited:

Kalvaer

Expert Member
reporting it is the first step mate. I wish people would be a little more proactive with this kind of thing. There is also a new initiative being launched where you can report bad drivers. Will get the details up on a separate thread a little later.
Now there I agree 100%, I know reporting will help, and hopefully if we report it more, the Police will have to do something about it. But I also believe the same is true for Speeding, and other crimes.

If the police arrest or fine more people for the "b" crimes, like driving with fog lights on, changing lanes without using an indicator, You will see a marked improvment in other crimes like speeding, because people will know they can not get away with it anymore.

The same goes for other crimes, Arrest people for "pee'ing" on the side of the road, and they will think twice about doing other crimes, Its worked all over the world, but I think its too much paper work for the SAPS to be bothered with b crimes.

Look forward to the other thread though.. thanks mate

IanC

Expert Member
I think a lot of companies/orgs avoid 0800 numbers because they tend to attract prank calls.

The SAPS aren't a company they're civil servants (and the sooner they get used to that idea the better) ... what happens when you see a crime by the police and you haven't got the money to report it?

Answer: it's an 0860 number ... the crime never happened.

kilps

Expert Member
One problem I see is the drinking and driving ages being the same ... too much responsibility at once ...

so if you lower the drinking age ... ;) :D

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
One problem I see is the drinking and driving ages being the same ... too much responsibility at once ...

so if you lower the drinking age ... ;) :D
Well I think that the Americans have it right with the drinking age set at 21. This means that if you get your license at 16 then forget about drinking for another 5 years.

kilps

Expert Member
Well I think that the Americans have it right with the drinking age set at 21. This means that if you get your license at 16 then forget about drinking for another 5 years.
The problem is that there is still access to liquor - and even still then you have someone who can drive but isn't experienced in drink suddenly having access - and so they don't know their limits etc.

But should they already know their limits when they get their licence they are more likely to be capable of making the right decisions

jontyB

Expert Member
The problem is that there is still access to liquor - and even still then you have someone who can drive but isn't experienced in drink suddenly having access - and so they don't know their limits etc.

But should they already know their limits when they get their licence they are more likely to be capable of making the right decisions

Like not consuming alcohol before (or while) driving? Call me silly, but surely this is a moral decision and not a life experience decision?

kilps

Expert Member
Like not consuming alcohol before (or while) driving? Call me silly, but surely this is a moral decision and not a life experience decision?
Trust me I agree with you entirely - but I think that we know that everybody doing that is not a reality. At least upon receiving ones licence the novelty of liquor might have been worn away a bit

jontyB

Expert Member
Trust me I agree with you entirely - but I think that we know that everybody doing that is not a reality. At least upon receiving ones licence the novelty of liquor might have been worn away a bit

I don't think the novelty ever wears off. I know too many people who go out on weekend nights and drink way more than they should, and often still drive home. And they're in the mid to late thirties.

kilps

Expert Member
I don't think the novelty ever wears off. I know too many people who go out on weekend nights and drink way more than they should, and often still drive home. And they're in the mid to late thirties.
True - but my point of view comes from seeing friends who have since realised that binge drinking is not fun and is stupid - I would be more happy with them driving now that they do not drink *as much* than back then

Just imagine if everyone followed the rules and didn't drink before turning 18 ... suddenly we have a car and are allowed to drink - what do you think is going to happen?

And even though there is underage drinking at least two sudden and very real responsibilities are stagmented

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
Just imagine if everyone followed the rules and didn't drink before turning 18 ... suddenly we have a car and are allowed to drink - what do you think is going to happen?

And even though there is underage drinking at least two sudden and very real responsibilities are stagmented
The problem is that the mentality of most South Africans means that they do not deserve too many responsibilities too early. Most people seem to be under the impression that it's *ok* for them to break the rules but it's not ok for anybody else because they see others as inferior to themselves. It's almost as if we've developed a superman complex about ourselves. The bottom line is that it's not ok for ANYONE to break the rules. The sooner more people realize this, the sooner our roads will become safer.

IanC

Expert Member

Curious they didn't do that with the gun law ...:rolleyes:

FacELesS.

Rumour has it that the driver of that lambo is the owner of baobab in menlyn PTA and has numerous other capacino's restaurants.

Kalvaer

Expert Member
I dont think its the Novelty, but more what you learn. In the USA you can start driving at what.. 16 is it not? and in most states drink at 21.

To make it worse, if you get caught with a DUI, you get your license taken away, Add that to the fact that the police there pull people over for broken tail lights, FOG LIGHTs, lane hopping, etc. It becomes harder for you to break the law. Now after 5 years of driving, you have more than likely seen quiet a few road accidents, been pulled over at least 10 times for regular check ups by the Police, So when you start drinking, you have hopefully LEARNT something. Granted not everyone does and the USA is proof of this as well, but if 40% of the people do, its a HUGE improvement on the system we have here in SA

EDIT Oh yes and all the police also have permenant Camera's in their Car's in the USA and the UK which need to be handed in after their shift, so they cant take bribes since it will all be on Camera.. .But try that here in SA... I've seen it here as a kid, my Father sponsored a Camera and recording system at the Charge Office when he was chairman of the CPF.. 2 weeks later the camera was stolen out of the police station.. I wonder who did that?

Last edited: