Land invasion underway in Midrand

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Once they get established there's no getting rid of them. Especially if they settle on privately owned.

John Tempus

Expert Member
I guess I should vote for the EFF. There is this really nice overhanging property in Clifton that I really want for free.

Woooooooooooot!!!

BBSA

Honorary Master
I guess I should vote for the EFF. There is this really nice overhanging property in Clifton that I really want for free.

Woooooooooooot!!!
Only if you are poor, they are the champions of the poor just like ZANU-PF in Zimbabwe.

Sollie

Expert Member
Once they get established there's no getting rid of them. Especially if they settle on privately owned.
It's a great game to play. The first 48 hrs are vital, where the cops should play a role to either get them out or arrests. After that squatters rights apply.

Except the cops deliberately do no do something in the first 48 hrs. That's what the Afriforum court case against the cops is about.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
It's a great game to play. The first 48 hrs are vital, where the cops should play a role to either get them out or arrests. After that squatters rights apply.

Except the cops deliberately do no do something in the first 48 hrs. That's what the Afriforum court case against the cops is about.
Either way those people are not going to be moved until after the election... If ever.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Only if you are poor, they are the champions of the poor just like ZANU-PF in Zimbabwe.
I think I lack more than that. I am also that racist skin colour they label as White.

I should sue my parents before I claim my new property from the EFF.

Sollie

Expert Member
I was thinking "Mass Paraffin accidents" , they are common place in popup shack locations.

"Accidents happen"
I was thinking something more conclusive, message sending, to make people think about ever doing it again. Churchill Crocodile?

lumeer

I was thinking "Mass Paraffin accidents" , they are common place in popup shack locations.

"Accidents happen"
No! These are human beings. They need a place to live. They cannot be wished away and burning their settlements, and maming or killing them in the process, is not the solution.

John Tempus

Expert Member
No! These are human beings. They need a place to live. They cannot be wished away and burning their settlements, and maming or killing them in the process, is not the solution.
Ok I will let them know to come set up tent on your front yard. Deal ? Just let me know your address and these kind desperate people will gladly settle there.

If you are not prepared to house their shacks then why the hell should other South Africans mess up their property value with these land claiming shack building ?

Paul_S

Expert Member
If you are not prepared to house their shacks then why the hell should other South Africans mess up their property value with these land claiming shack building ?
It's not just about property values. Crime becomes a huge issue when you have squatters or a township set up shop next door.

I've experienced this first hand. 20 years with few issues in the neighbourhood and then after a small settlement is established nearby , a constant stream of aggrevated robberies, house breakins, murder, etc. become the new norm.

John Tempus

Expert Member
It's not just about property values. Crime becomes a huge issue when you have squatters or a township set up shop next door.

I've experienced this first hand. 20 years with few issues in the neighbourhood and then after a small settlement is established nearby , a constant stream of aggrevated robberies, house breakins, murder, etc. become the new norm.
But dude, these people need a place to live so why are you against them setting up shacks in your area ? They need a place to rob cause they have no job so why are you restricting them from helping themself into your property ? etc etc.

Keep in mind as long as its in your area and not lumeer then its TOTALLY OK.

/sarcasm

It reminds me of the same mentality in USA where the people screaming for open borders and refugees do not want these same migrants/refugees to set up camp in their own fancy areas. Its all fun and games as long as all these poor migrants/refugees setup makeshift camps in neighborhoods of everyone else.

That said ....

Obviously lumeer did not see the point I tried to make with the referencing to paraffin accidental burning. I don't condone actually hurting anyone but at the same time if some sort of aggressive stance is not taken these land claiming procedures will only escalate where people will one day come home from work just to see some random family inside your home claiming it as their own and leaving you out to attempt to fight this BS in court hoping to get them out.

upup

Executive Member
Guy who works with me also got 2 shack's in similar place, simply for if a political promise come thru, and he get 2 hop houses, he is happy. Lets call it an African property investment.

rambo919

Expert Member
Birth control
Sterilization is the only thing that would have any real impact. If the state was serious about improving things it would have set up non-profit work camp communes that pay in conditional benefits (including food) instead of money long ago. But no unearned bonus pays for itself after all.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Guy who works with me also got 2 shack's in similar place, simply for if a political promise come thru, and he get 2 hop houses, he is happy. Lets call it an African property investment.
Or we could call it stealing, since there is a restriction of one per customer on RDP houses, and someone else who is also on the waiting list just got bumped down because this guy took their house.

But that's just me..

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I wonder why neighboring properties would be devalued by poor humans just needing a place to live.

lumeer

Ok I will let them know to come set up tent on your front yard. Deal ? Just let me know your address and these kind desperate people will gladly settle there.

I'm not suggesting that land invasions should be allowed. I was responding to your suggestion that these settlements should be set on fire, which is certainly not an option in my book. Perhaps you were joking.

The point is, there are millions of shackdwellers in South Africa, and they're not simply going to disappear. They cannot be wished away. Wherever they go, they are going to be somebody's problem. A pragmatic but humane solution must be found.