Landlord wants to charge me more for electricity - options?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Ok, which firm gives prepaid (the same rates as normal rates). Thats a first for me
Well City power, the per unit cost is a little more, but you don't pay the connection fees which add 600 bucks.

xodosman123

Expert Member
You can get a pree paid meter installed...I have one at one of my other properties...Not every unit needs one. There is an addition fee though...R17 per month for self managed.

Gozado

You can get a non-prepaid meter for the apartment too, it just counts units used without needing tokens etc.
Could you please elaborate on this suggestions? What would be the steps to take?
  1. Tenant buys non-prepaid meter at his own cost, and installs it at his own cost. Does he need to get permission from the landlord to do this?
  2. Tenant reads the meter each week or month. Could you please suggest a good way to transfer these readings to the landlord, such that they are credible, and could be regarded as adequate proof of the tenant's consumption?
  3. Is the tenant liable for a participatory share of the electricity costs of the complex, e.g. the electricity for the electric gate, the lighting in the driveway or stairway, or the pump in a collectively accessible pool? If yes, how would the portion be decided upon and allocated to the tenant, given that it is extra and outside of what his newly installed meter would show?

zerocool2009

Expert Member
Could you please elaborate on this suggestions? What would be the steps to take?
  1. Tenant buys non-prepaid meter at his own cost, and installs it at his own cost. Does he need to get permission from the landlord to do this?
  2. Tenant reads the meter each week or month. Could you please suggest a good way to transfer these readings to the landlord, such that they are credible, and could be regarded as adequate proof of the tenant's consumption?
  3. Is the tenant liable for a participatory share of the electricity costs of the complex, e.g. the electricity for the electric gate, the lighting in the driveway or stairway, or the pump in a collectively accessible pool? If yes, how would the portion be decided upon and allocated to the tenant, given that it is extra and outside of what his newly installed meter would show?
Why would the tenants install it? Aint it the landlords call?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Have prepaid already. Looking for an alternative unit provider. Currently using FNB.
FNB is just the method of purchasing the units, I use them as well and it's the same tariff.
It's your provider that's an issue.

Gozado

Why would the tenants install it? Aint it the landlords call?
I had the impression that Rocket-Boy was recommending that the tenant do so. Did I misunderstand?
I thought the question was about how a tenant could find ways to check whether the landlord was over-charging and, if so, to prove it with readings and numbers, so as to dispute the amount with the landlord, and get it reduced.

zerocool2009

Expert Member
I had the impression that Rocket-Boy was recommending that the tenant do so. Did I misunderstand?
I thought the question was about how a tenant could find ways to check whether the landlord was over-charging and, if so, to prove it with readings and numbers, so as to dispute the amount with the landlord, and get it reduced.
I cant see that as an option : tenant replacing the prepaid meter. Its something fixed. Honestly, if its a ripoff in costs, move

Lupus

Honorary Master
COJ is the issue then :(
CoJ don't handle power, City Power does and their tarrifs remain the same, it starts at one tarrif till 300 units, than it goes up till 500 and again after that.

roskii

CoJ don't handle power, City Power does and their tarrifs remain the same, it starts at one tarrif till 300 units, than it goes up till 500 and again after that.
Meant CP :X3: but understood thanks.