Laptop stolen -- What is the value of the laptop on the street?

RuhanSA079

Hi guys,

Unfortunately a person/persons stole my laptop out of my Fiesta's boot yesterday approx 10 at night. Forced the lock open, gone with laptop, and the alarm sounds very puny when it goes off...

Luckily the laptop is covered by insurance, (work laptop).

Just for interest's sake, if a typical drug user steals a laptop, how much drugs or money he/she would get from stealing a laptop bag with a expensive Logitech mouse, laptop and headphones?

5 or 6 baggies of nyaope or few baggies dagga?

*SynergyX*

Expert Member
to the thief -- depending on his/her situation. even the next meal is valuable enough.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Yoh, sorry mate.

The laptop will probably get sold at some nigerian computer shop in the cbd for like R500, then the nigerians will sell it for R1500 depending on the laptop name and specs!

Temujin

Executive Member
I personally know a druggie who inherited a car when his grandfather died, and sold it for R500 to get his fix(about 8yrs ago)... 'value' of stolen/owned item is directly linked to how desperate they are for their fix... and pawn brokers etc see them coming miles away

RuhanSA079

Yoh, sorry mate.

The laptop will probably get sold at some nigerian computer shop in the cbd for like R500, then the nigerians will sell it for R1500 depending on the laptop name and specs!
That machine got 16gigs of RAM, 1TB HDD and a beefy i7 7th gen. I am a software developer.

RuhanSA079

Sorry to hear about your laptop. First thing I’d do as a just in case is start changing passwords.
My IT administrator revoked all access to email, accounts, everything after I phoned him. I changed every password I know of, first thing I did after I discovered that the laptop was stolen.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That machine got 16gigs of RAM, 1TB HDD and a beefy i7 7th gen. I am a software developer.
Won't change how much the thief gets for it really...

Next thing, get your IT Admin to setup something like Bitlocker... then the machine is entirely useless to whoever steals it.