Laptops can’t see WiFi SSID but other devices work fine.

Tech_

Weird issue at 2 different sites
Phones/tablets pickup the WiFi SSID but laptops don’t, both laptops can see other nearby WiFi connections.
one site laptop runs Win 7 with Dlink USB WiFi adaptor and other site Windows 10 on built in WiFi. Common denominator is both on Telkom Fibre.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
2,4Ghz vs 5Ghz settings?

Maybe your AP only pushing 5Ghz and the laptops are set to only pick up 2,4Ghz?

Or something like that...I'm a bit of a noob.

Tech_

2,4Ghz vs 5Ghz settings?

Maybe your AP only pushing 5Ghz and the laptops are set to only pick up 2,4Ghz?

Or something like that...I'm a bit of a noob.
Based on the SSIDs that’s showing on working devices both 2.4 and 5ghz are on.

Peon

Expert Member
You router, is it a Telkom supplied one? Very dumb suggestion but you check its country setting of WiFi is set to South Africa?

quovadis

Executive Member
The AP might be operating or overlapping the fringe of supported frequency ranges of the connecting client devices which may not be supported - sometimes happens if you have a country set incorrectly as per peon above. Another is one wifi standard interfering with another - ie a 802.11a only device not being able to connect to the AP which is configured only support a specific standard like N only etc

Tech_

Strange thing is it worked fine earlier in the day in both locations.
@Peon i checked location and it is set to South Africa.

Tech_

Just tested with another laptop at one of the sites and it picks up the WiFi no issues, both users say their computers did a windows update prior to the SSID disappearing.

Peon

Expert Member
Ok, this is going to sound like a contradiction.

On your router, force the wifi mode to be only G or max level G. If your 2 non-working laptops pick it up then I suspect the drivers of the wireless network cards need to be rolled back or updated. R10 says your laptops are Windows 10 and a update has caused this issue. If you really want to be brave you can boot the laptops off a Ubuntu Live USB and see if the Ubuntu can see the wireless networks, another R10 says they will.

Tech_

Ok, this is going to sound like a contradiction.

On your router, force the wifi mode to be only G or max level G. If your 2 non-working laptops pick it up then I suspect the drivers of the wireless network cards need to be rolled back or updated. R10 says your laptops are Windows 10 and a update has caused this issue. If you really want to be brave you can boot the laptops off a Ubuntu Live USB and see if the Ubuntu can see the wireless networks, another R10 says they will.
So one laptop is Windows 10 and one is 7.
gonna check what updates loaded recently.

netstrider

Expert Member
Windows update has cause my killer wifi card to sop working before and I had to manually download the driver to get it working again.

Peon

Expert Member
Booting Live Ubuntu USB on both laptops will answer alot of questions quickly I reckon. Curious about this one.

Anyone else have crap with Kyocera printers + Windows 10 Blue Screening these past 3 weeks?

Peon

Expert Member
Did you boot a Live Ubuntu USB or this weekend having a loooong meeting with Captain Morgan & Co?