Large methane leak detected east of Joburg raises pollution concerns

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Saw a documentary similar to this about 2 weeks ago on National Geographic or Discovery.
There are lakes in some countries with methane and other gas leaks.
People dying in their sleep by the hundreds due to the poisonous gas that came from the lake.

It's nature though, so not much those people could do other than move and not live near the area.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The data is valid, but the alarmist commentary seems irrelevant. New satellites are beginning to show regional concentrations maps, that were previously unavailable.

Methane gas is an inevitable by product of coal mining. It is non toxic, but does pose an explosion risk in confined spaces (not outdoors).

It is also a relatively long-lived greenhouse gas, which is why satellite surveillance is important, and sources need to be monitored.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
The data is valid, but the alarmist commentary seems irrelevant. New satellites are beginning to show regional concentrations maps, that were previously unavailable.

Methane gas is an inevitable by product of coal mining. It is non toxic, but does pose an explosion risk in confined spaces (not outdoors).

It is also a relatively long-lived greenhouse gas, which is why satellite surveillance is important, and sources need to be monitored.
I googled it earlier. Depending on the level of exposure, it can be a health risk.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I googled it earlier. Depending on the level of exposure, it can be a health risk.

You'd better provide a link, because none of my sources indicate toxicity. It can be an asphyxiant if you breath 95% methane and 5% oxygen.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Saw a documentary similar to this about 2 weeks ago on National Geographic or Discovery.
There are lakes in some countries with methane and other gas leaks.
People dying in their sleep by the hundreds due to the poisonous gas that came from the lake.

It's nature though, so not much those people could do other than move and not live near the area.
That's more due to extreme concentrations, methane is not lethal except in regards to asphyxiation if too much in the air.
Here's an info paper on it by the England public health: https://assets.publishing.service.g...6/Methane_PHE_general_information__070119.pdf

A google that link is BS and you know it, here's the first hit though:

Risks of Methane Gas Poisoning Exposure

Methane exposure, particularly when experienced in high concentrations, can lead to methane poisoning. While it is considered relatively non-toxic, its primary threat is that it functions as an asphyxiant, similar to the threat posed by carbon monoxide exposure. When inhaled, it displaces ambient air, thus depriving the body of oxygen needed to breathe. While low concentrations are generally not harmful, higher concentrations lead to less oxygen availability and a range of symptoms may be experienced, including:
So no, no issue unless very high concentrations, and you're generally not building on top of a mine or gas leaks.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
That's more due to extreme concentrations, methane is not lethal except in regards to asphyxiation if too much in the air.
Here's an info paper on it by the England public health: https://assets.publishing.service.g...6/Methane_PHE_general_information__070119.pdf
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Clumsiness and dizziness
  • Decreased vision, especially in low lights
  • Euphoria
  • Decreased alertness
  • Loss of memory
  • Weakness
  • Fatigue
  • Emotional responses
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Fainting and collapse
  • Convulsions
  • Coma
  • Death

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Clumsiness and dizziness
  • Decreased vision, especially in low lights
  • Euphoria
  • Decreased alertness
  • Loss of memory
  • Weakness
  • Fatigue
  • Emotional responses
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Fainting and collapse
  • Convulsions
  • Coma
  • Death
I updated my post, you're being stupid.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So about as valid as the objections to using IVM to treat Covid 19 hey? :cool: :unsure: :ROFL::cautious:

Just saying .

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
So about as valid as the objections to using IVM to treat Covod 19 hey? :cool: :unsure: :ROFL::cautious:

Just saying .
Sorry, what? There are no valid papers proving IVM actually works, even the manufacturers of it said not to and they have the largest vested interest in getting it used as treatment.
But not going to reply to any argument thereof, there's already threads dedicated to the topic and you keep posting more and more there with no actual proof, so never bothered reading past what I did.
Send someone with an oil lantern to find the leak
Eskom is trying to make sure no torches are used, candles are great backups...

|tera|

Master of Messengers
For posting a google link of something with no authority that suits your narrative, yes.
Don't be a cnt please.
There's no narrative. I answered a question.
Get out of your own head some time.