Larger monitor upgrading

K

kingrob

Most important issue to consider is if you have a valid SABC TV licence.

I went to buy a Samsung 3D LED TV last week, just to be told that the SABC has blocked the sale, as I still owe them money for a TV I purchased in 2004!

Now it will take another month to sort this mess out. :sick:

ambo

Expert Member
I've been using dual 24" (1920x1200) monitors on all my desktops for a few years now and don't even attempt to do anything serious work-wise on a laptop or small desktop monitor anymore.
I find that the ergonomics of two screens can be problematic: If you place them both centrally on your desk then your primary visual area is broken by the gap between the monitors.

I've now settled on a 3 screen setup as my preferred standard in my various workspaces: 2 monitors connected to a primary machine and a second machine to give me the third monitor. Share a single keyboard and mouse across all 3 screens using Synergy and you have both a neat party trick and a really productive workspace.

I intentionally only have a 12" laptop which is small enough to carry in one hand while I'm using it on the move. I'm always much less productive with it though.

So often we hear HR complaining about getting productivity up. Here's a simple solution; Give every desk-jockey dual monitors.
You need to come speak to my wife's HR dept :p She gets used to her dual screen setup on her PC at home and then gets restricted to a single 17" on her desk at the office.

Phinix

Expert Member
I'm sure Samsung will bring out a higher res screen tho, and their panels are awesome and well priced!
There already is a samsung monitor out. infact its so new its not out in SA yet. i'm currently waiting for it. its a Samsung SyncMaster LS27A850DS, which is a 27" with a 2560X1440 resolution. but most importantly it has samsungs new - and own - screen technology, which PLS.

Here is a video of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezKQjtM8FdE

However, i might go for Hp's ZR2740W or ZR30W.

However the 30" is incredibly exspensive, and the 27" is newer. so probably just comes down to price, quality and screen technology.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Do you guys think that going for a projector is a better option? i mean its just for watching movies, i had one over the holiday and was quite impressed with it. And what about the globe? is it best to buy a few globes when buying the projector? since the model might be discontinued, then i have to search far and wide for a projector.

Phinix

Expert Member
Do you guys think that going for a projector is a better option? i mean its just for watching movies, i had one over the holiday and was quite impressed with it. And what about the globe? is it best to buy a few globes when buying the projector? since the model might be discontinued, then i have to search far and wide for a projector.

Nope.

Only if you have a dedicated room with no other light sources, e.g., no windows, will a projector work.
They may seem like a great option, but most projectors in the R5000 - R7000 range aren’t enough for watching hd movies etc.

They may say "hd ready" or supports 1080i/p but their native resolution are normally 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768.
True 1280x720 resolution projectors are in the R10000+ range.

If you want something for watching movies/tv on a larger screen, rather save up and get a led tv, since a new series 5 46" Samsung tv is only around R7500

jeinnor30

For me, True HD has to be something like 1920 x 1080. However you dont really see a big difference on anything smaller than a 40" between 720 and 1080. I think 720p is perfect for 32" and smaller and 1080p is better suited for 46" and up in order to see a noticeable difference. I currently have a 40" Samsung looking to upgrade to a 46" Samsung and then later buy myself a Projector to project 60" for Movie Nights or something similar. Just the cost for a projector that can generate that kind of resolution is expensive.

The problem with going cheaper on TVs is the whole motion blur thing, especially on action movies or sports, once you have seen it, the experience is ruined.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
You see, i like the tv and all that, 46" and what not...but ultimately...as time goes by, the tv would always seem smaller to me, year after year...the TV has quality over size when compared to a projector. I really want to create a cinema in my room, but i also dont want to be bound by only 46" or 55" or whatever fixed size.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
I've now settled on a 3 screen setup as my preferred standard in my various workspaces: 2 monitors connected to a primary machine and a second machine to give me the third monitor. Share a single keyboard and mouse across all 3 screens using Synergy and you have both a neat party trick and a really productive workspace.

Have you tried just using a USB display card for the 3rd screen? Think you can have up to 6 hanging off 1 system. I've been using them for OA with no problems at all, though I've not tried to play a HD game on them yet. :)

They're pretty cheap, think around R300, and also solves the one argument (hardware upgrade) IT might have in giving out multi-monitor setups. With these USB devices it's all plug and pray. No need to swap out display cards.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Screw monitors, get lcd full hd tv's.

I got 46" 5 series sammy and it is insane.

mcryan

Expert Member
I'm very happy with my 23" at the moment. Rather than upgrading, I'll be adding another 23" along side my current monitor.