Laser eye surgery in Joburg

RustyPrincess

Expert Member
Been considering getting my eyes zapped for a while now, any recommendations for a good opthamologist in Joburg?
Any idea what it costs nowadays?

Akasha

Executive Member
My mom went to an eye clinic thing in Benoni. They did really good work. No idea what it cost (medical aid paid for it)

Winky Maximus

Hi Akasha did the medical aid pay for Lasik to improve your mom's eyesight? i.e. so she doesn't need glasses anymore? My understanding is that no medical aid will pay for that. They do use the same lazer to do other procedures though.

I had my eyes done back in 2009. Cost was R10,500 done by the Laser Eye Clinic in Port Elizabeth. They also have an excellent reputation. No idea what the procedure would cost today I'm afraid. I can say that it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Really worth the investment.

ponder

Honorary Master
Hi Akasha did the medical aid pay for Lasik to improve your mom's eyesight? i.e. so she doesn't need glasses anymore? My understanding is that no medical aid will pay for that.

Medical aid paid for mine and this was around 96-97.

JayM

Expert Member
All surgeries carry risks. It's up to an individual if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Agree 100%. But you generally only hear anecdotal evidence from people who are happy. There is another side of the story though.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Anyone have a price ?

I'm about to spend (I guess R9,000) on glasses - but if R25,000 or less, may be better to go the Lasik route.

I've had Dr Dory Neu-Ner at Fourways Life hospital, but haven't gone as yet to see the pricing

eg2505

Honorary Master
Is there an age limit on these surgeries?

Heard once, they don't do it for unless you reached a certain age

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Is there an age limit on these surgeries?

Heard once, they don't do it for unless you reached a certain age

What difference will it make for you though? I mean you'll still see Nissan 1400 bakkies in everything even with 20/20 vision...

freddster

Expert Member
My mother had her eyes treated close to 60. ONly restriction I know of is when your eyes are past a certain limit then you can't have them lazered.

Mets

Had mine done in October last year - super happy. I went for the SMILE option (Google it to see the benefit over the other options). The medical aid only paid what I had in my medical savings account, the rest came out of my own pocket. Total damage was just under R40K but they do traditional LASIK and PRK depending on your script / eyes and budget and I know those are a lot cheaper.

Dr. Frik Potgieter at Optimed Eye and Laser clinic - lasik.co.za

Mets

I think you have to be over 21.

The main consideration is the stability of the eyes' prescription as far as I know the prescription must be the same for two to three years. If your eyes haven't stabilized, they'll continue to change after the op "undoing" the surgery's correction.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I went for the SMILE option

omg ... more research - I didn't realize there were options!

Anyway, my glasses come to R4,800.00 so I'll probably wait another year or so