Lasik Surgery - My Experience (Long, detailed read..)

rainbow84

Can anyone tell me what is the best technology or technique for laser eye surgery?

For those that have taken the leap, which did you have and how was it?

I am in Cape Town but am confused with lasik / wave something?
Since i am spending this amount of money, i rather pay a bit more for the best technology or technique available, if possible.

catman37

Expert Member
Can anyone tell me what is the best technology or technique for laser eye surgery?

Since i am spending this amount of money, i rather pay a bit more for the best technology or technique available, if possible.
I was told that my astigmatism was so bad that the normal lasik machines couldn't help. He said that mine had to done using the Wavelink(i think. Had it done a while ago).

grim

Expert Member

Speak to your ophthalmologist, he will be able to advise you what is best for your eyes.

One technique or technology isn't necessarily better than another. It depends on your eyes

HApyM3al

Expert Member
I was told that my astigmatism was so bad that the normal lasik machines couldn't help. He said that mine had to done using the Wavelink(i think. Had it done a while ago).
same situation, however wasnt told about the Wavelink.

if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost to do the surgery?

HApyM3al

Expert Member
Hi. It cost about R20000. My glasses used to cost about 7000 a set.
yeah my glasses cost round 3500.

been considering this for a while now. would have to save up of course but might be a good thing to do for myself.

Marion24

Want more information about the results after those years

Thanks guys! Just a quick update! I'm back at home in bed wearing these ultra cool glasses they give you. Surgery went well! I can already see a lot better then before! Still a bit hazy but they said that's to be expected for the first day. I don't feel any pain or discomfort. So far I don't feel like I have dry eyes or an itchy sensation. Maybe that's because the numbing drops haven't worn off yet. So far so good! I'm quite impressed, I can already see things that I would never been able to see without my glasses. Going tomorrow for the post op check up and will update then.

I've been trying to sleep but I can't fall asleep :( oh well, will just lie in bed and keep my eyes closed.

Edit: My left eye feels a lot more focuses than my right eye tho. I can see better in the left eye than right. I just hope that it does settle so the vision is focused on both eyes.

Hey. Hope you are well.
Can you please give an update. I wanted to go for lasik

Looney

Expert Member
Hey. Hope you are well.
Hey,

So it's been 4 years since I had my Lasik and i'v noticed that my eyesight has deteriorated slightly. My right eye has gotten worse, not to the point that I can't see but that it gets more blurry from far. I went to see the ophthalmologist again and he said that he wouldn't recommend doing a touch up as he wants to protect my sight when I get older. He did say that my eyesight will improve with time (even though it doesn't really make sense). He said that it could take 10 years for your eyes to fully heal. He said I should wait another 2 years and see from there.

Luckily my left eye is still good so it compensates my right eye.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Hey. Hope you are well.
Just over 4 years for me. Vision is still great. Occasionally I need to use reading glasses but that's old age catching up with me :eek:

Dolby

Honorary Master
Hey,

So it's been 4 years since I had my Lasik and i'v noticed that my eyesight has deteriorated slightly. My right eye has gotten worse, not to the point that I can't see
Oh slightly?
So still no where near where it was before wearing glasses?

During that time you're not supposed to blink and you have the thing holding your eye lid, I'm terrified my body makes me blink and laser blinds me or burns my eyelid ... My eyes are sensitive :/

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Does anybody have a current ballpark figure? Have been thinking of this as well.
I looked at it last year and was quoted R20k for both eyes. Went to the guy who was supposed to be the best in his field. Haven't been for the op yet (my vision is not too bad so it's not urgent).

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Oh slightly?
So still no where near where it was before wearing glasses?

During that time you're not supposed to blink and you have the thing holding your eye lid, I'm terrified my body makes me blink and laser blinds me or burns my eyelid ... My eyes are sensitive :/
You won't blink. Your eye is pretty firmly clamped...

I had my Lasik in 2001.
Went from -7.5 to not wearing corrective lenses for about 10 years.
I now wear a -1.5 and a - 0.5

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
I looked at it last year and was quoted R20k for both eyes. Went to the guy who was supposed to be the best in his field. Haven't been for the op yet (my vision is not too bad so it's not urgent).
Thanks!

ponder

Honorary Master
It causes severe glare in many people, where the condition didn't exist before. The idea of LASIK is not to wear glasses, so the coating idea is moot.
It goes away after 6-12 months just like your sensitivity to bright sunlight decreases over time after the op. I had the night driving thing bad and the doc said it will go away and it did.

ponder

Honorary Master
Yes you get star bursts at night its part of the way it works. Would I prefer no star bursts and being bloody blind ? Sorry it's a tiny price yo pay to actually see properly now.
It will go away with time.