Lasik Surgery - My Experience (Long, detailed read..)

krouxsa

So just made an appointment with Dr Mark Deist. Anyone been there recently? R4100 for consultation and then op can range from R32k to R40k. This is what the receptionist said. It is really expensive but then again it's your eyes that one uses the most. Is this currently the normal price? Seems a little steep.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Optician told me if you can get away with wearing glasses and contacts just do that.

It's a total rip off.

JayM

Expert Member
It's not.
Well to be fair all the people who went blind from it don't go onto Internet forums and tell their story.

In all seriousness, I'm sticking with glasses as I don't mind them. There is a fair chance of complications and an even higher chance that your BCV (best correctable vision) could be worse than before the procedure. No thanks.

ponder

Honorary Master
To think mine was <R13k for everything back in the 90s, inflation is a biatch especially if medical aid ain't paying.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Optician told me if you can get away with wearing glasses and contacts just do that.

It's a total rip off.
Yes, so long as your life isn't a genuine misery with glasses and contact, don't opt for LASIK.

Had mine done in 2001 around age 24 (paid 8k IIRC). Perhaps too young as my eyes did change a bit over the years and even more so in the last 3 years even though I am now 41. I'd be blind as a bat without LASIK but it does seem like there's no guaranteed results with it. I know quite a few people who have had it done, mostly successful but I think they all still require glasses/contacts to some degree. But admittedly we're talking about people who would be -9 and thereabouts if not for LASIK...

SAguy

Expert Member
Thread necro
Just came back from a free preliminary consult at Dr Hill in Cape Town. Turns out I'm a good candidate and they expect my vision to be better than what it is with my current 1 year old prescription specs.

Cash price for everything, including follow up and any potential "touch up" needed within the first four months comes to R19 500.

Going to save for a couple of months and go for it. Here's to being able to see my watch while running or going to the gym.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Thread necro
<snip>
What's your current prescription and age if i may ask? The most recent person i know of who did LASIK was not happy with the results at all, so you have to do your homework and be sure before going this route.

SAguy

Expert Member
What's your current prescription and age if i may ask? The most recent person i know of who did LASIK was not happy with the results at all, so you have to do your homework and be sure before going this route.
I'm 32, not entirely sure what my prescription is though.

It's tough deciding, I've met people who have said it's changed their lives and some who are disappointed. It's hard to really get an idea of how successful it will be.

I've got one more consultation with the doctor before deciding if I want to go ahead or not. Hopefully that will answer whatever questions I still have by then.

L-Dog

Your eyes just need to stabilized. Will definitely also do it but only in my late 30s although your doctors will give the best advice

acidrain

Executive Member
Did mine with Dr Hartog in Bellville 2 years ago and the results for me were very positive. My prescription was -1.75 iirc.

Procedure takes all of 10 minutes. Spent more time in the waiting room waiting for the vicodin to kick in

vajavich

did mine last year at the east london eye hospital with dr boliter.

very impressed with the results but am slightly disappointed with how fast my vision deteriorated after the op. could see clearly across the office floor (+-50m) without any issues but now i can see about two thirds the distance. still substantially better than what my vision was before the op. was -6.5 or so in both eyes.

David101

Did mine in 2004 Pta Eye Institute
Best money I have ever spent. My prescriptions were -5.5 and -5.0

SHL

So just made an appointment with Dr Mark Deist. Anyone been there recently? R4100 for consultation and then op can range from R32k to R40k. This is what the receptionist said. It is really expensive but then again it's your eyes that one uses the most. Is this currently the normal price? Seems a little steep.
That's steep. Consultation should be around R1400 and the procedure around R28,000 at PTA Eye Institute.