Lasik Surgery - My Experience (Long, detailed read..)

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I have a mate who is super disappointed after having it done.
He says he cant drive at night anymore because of the halos that any light source creates.
He is also back to wearing glasses and in a worse situation than before the op.

Personally I would get it done if I could but my condition wont allow it.

Looney

Expert Member
I have a mate who is super disappointed after having it done.
He says he cant drive at night anymore because of the halos that any light source creates.
He is also back to wearing glasses and in a worse situation than before the op.

Personally I would get it done if I could but my condition wont allow it.
Hope your mate didn’t go to Mark Deist. He’s total rubbish. Screwed my moms eyes badly. Can’t drive at night as well due to halos. Oh and he’s a total bloody ripoff.

I went to Dr Chris Van Niekerk in Cresta in 2013 and I still have 20/20 vision now.

Reactions: x32

x32

Hope your mate didn’t go to Mark Deist. He’s total rubbish. Screwed my moms eyes badly. Can’t drive at night as well due to halos. Oh and he’s a total bloody ripoff.

I went to Dr Chris Van Niekerk in Cresta in 2013 and I still have 20/20 vision now.
I also went to Dr van Niekerk. Had mine done in March 2017. All in all, it set me back 34k but I do not regret having it done for one second.

It has improved my quality of life immensely.

Looney

Expert Member
I also went to Dr van Niekerk. Had mine done in March 2017. All in all, it set me back 34k but I do not regret having it done for one second.

It has improved my quality of life immensely.
Sjoe, crazy how prices increased. Mine cost about 25k when I had it done. I agree I have no regrets whatsoever. Quality of life sure has improved and couldn’t be happier.

johnjm

Expert Member
This year will be my 10 year anniversary since I had LASIK done in Pretoria.

I still remember the wonderful feeling of being able to see in HD.

The funny part is I struggled a bit to keep the guards on at night, so I taped them around my head with electrical tape.

Closing my eyes when showering - maybe for two months lol

Oh, and I needed eye drops for about 18 months as that's how long it took my eyes to lubricate themselves properly after the surgery.

No regrets.

3Gee

Expert Member
Had mine done 20 years ago. -7.00 in both eyes

Had 20/20 vision for 17 years after the procedure.

Only possible side effect. Dry eyes over the past 2 years

Vroomfondel

I'm considering getting this done soon, I'm in Pretoria. I'm thinking of going to Optimed or Pretoria Eye Institute, not sure which would be the best.

nevadayz

Expert Member
wow, didn't know this thread was still alive :D

An update 8 years later, Eyesight is still "perfect", i do still have a bit of stigmatism, so when i spend long hours in front of a monitor, i use a pair of glasses, also to reduce glare etc.

Otherwise, all is good, and no degradation, as yet :laugh:

Still think it was definitely worth it, and would recommend. It really creates a new outlook on life.

Vroomfondel

Optimed has quoted me about R4000 for the evaluation and R35 000 - R45 000 depending on the procedure. Does this seem reasonable at all?

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Optimed has quoted me about R4000 for the evaluation and R35 000 - R45 000 depending on the procedure. Does this seem reasonable at all?
Damn that's double of what I paid a few years back :eek:

Scrolled back and see I was in 2013

Suspect99

Executive Member
I think I would have only paid for the consultation if they found I was not suitable for the surgery

Tman*

Expert Member
my 2c...

After a lot of research I had PRK done in Dec 2019, and although the operation was a success a word of caution:

Even after I did my own research I feel some doctors might sell you the surgery like a 2nd hand car salesman. They play on your emotions of having amazing sight, and make it seem like its a quick fix, and all will be amazing afterwards.

From my understanding PRK is quite a bit worse in terms of recovery time and discomfort. I was bedridden for the 1st 7 days where I experienced extreme discomfort and pain when trying to see. Following that it took me another 2 weeks (so 3 weeks total) before I could drive and I got severe migraines from light sensitivity (Every persons recovery time is different)

Some doctors sell this as a "quick fix", because in the initial consolations they downplay the recovery time, they dont even mention the countless follow up visits required, or that you have to pop 4 different drops in your eyes every 4 hours for the 1st month.

I was fortunate enough that I had a support structure in place over a period where I could take leave to recover, and I dont regret doing the surgery. It took me 5 months to fully recover.

Last edited:

SAguy

Expert Member
I had Lasik done with Dr Hill in Cpt in Feb, cost me R20k.

My eyesight was better when I had specs, and I miss them tbh... I have another follow up next week and it may be decided that we do another Lasik procedure.

There are days when I work for 3 or 4 hours and have to call it quits because my eyes are straining too badly.

For distance vision I'm very happy, (especially for running and gym) but right now I'm typing on my phone and have to look away every few seconds otherwise my eyes lose focus and I can't see at all.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I had Lasik done with Dr Hill in Cpt in Feb, cost me R20k.

My eyesight was better when I had specs, and I miss them tbh... I have another follow up next week and it may be decided that we do another Lasik procedure.

There are days when I work for 3 or 4 hours and have to call it quits because my eyes are straining too badly.

For distance vision I'm very happy, (especially for running and gym) but right now I'm typing on my phone and have to look away every few seconds otherwise my eyes lose focus and I can't see at all.
My life too now. But it was cataract replacement in one eye, which fixed distance issue. But other eye still bad. Was telling my wife that as much I hate it, feels like I will need to do the replacement in the other eye just so that's it normal to the brain. Absolute hell . Fscken hate the opthalmologist that said it would make my life better. It's anything but that. Was better off with my condition. 8 months later

SAguy

Expert Member
Going in a couple of hours for lasik again on my right eye...
Not sure if I'm more or less nervous knowing what it all entails :)

DentistGuy

I had Lasik done for 20K in Port Elizabeth when I stayed there about 2 years ago. No issues and best 20k I ever spent!

Had to pay cash and paid another R1.5K-ish for the consult and they also charged me for the post-op consult. Medical proceedures are generally cheaper in coastal towns. I just remember the amazing clarity I had when I opened my eyes- the optical changes gave me a headache. I'll probably go and check again in a few years when my eyesight deteriotates- I tend to read late at night.

SAguy

Expert Member
Holy heck yesterday was unpleasant, procedure was fine but the discomfort for about 8 hours afterwards. Felt like Satan was using my eye socket as a glory hole.

Feel much better this morning though, think this touch up surgery has done the trick... but will see in a week or so.