Lazarus Zim is the new Telkom chairman

MickeyD

RIP
Mnet and Supersport! Somebody with potential to get us moving foward :D:D
Anybody who has supersport will say they are up there with sky and espn. If he had something to do with that then happy times ahead!
Yep, give the chap a chance.... also remember that his first task is to appoint a CEO to run the company. That's when we will see how serious he is about turning around Telkom's fortunes.

Milano

Honorary Master
Lazarus, nice move, you just super-sized what must already be an obese personal bank account. Success or failure makes no difference as long as SA government interests are served.

Bluray

Mmm...interesting. Wasn't he also @ MTN some years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperBru

Just another crony ready to loot. He was a non-executive director at Telkom in the past.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I reckon lets see what this guys first few actions are in terms of the damagement of Telscum... then we can make pronouncements on his ability and will.

He has headed up a few companies that are INCREDIBLY succesful so he must have some talent.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I had ADSL in about 2006 and it was pretty shoddy service from Telkom then.

I hoped that 5 years down the line things would have changed ; but I find it worse. I can't CLOSE an account - even with a reference number - and they keep billing me. The result is that my credit history is suffering (just got my report) so I've either stuck paying them or getting a ****ty credit history.

I've been into Telkom Direct, sat for 30 minutes to their call centre account sand mailed twice. NOTHING

entrepr

Expert Member
Walking knowingly into such a political mess as this (govt, unions, senior management, legacy issues), Lazarus either has enormous faith in his ability to resolve an almost intractable mess, or he's being paid so well he doesn't really care (or he's a bit naive, but I hope that's not the case).

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
Walking knowingly into such a political mess as this (govt, unions, senior management, legacy issues), Lazarus either has enormous faith in his ability to resolve an almost intractable mess, or he's being paid so well he doesn't really care (or he's a bit naive, but I hope that's not the case).

or he's the milkmaid assigned to get the last few drops out.
well, make it happen mr zim. everybody knows what's to be done. less talk, more action.
whatever he does, broadband will move forward in this country, with or without telkom.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Well good luck Mr Zim.

However that to me is not the key appointment.

Who will the new CEO be?
The board chose the CEO and it will be a tough job to find somene.

Maybe they need t0 de-emphasise the role of the Group CEO and empower the MDs of the subsidiaries more

Pinky Moaholi (sp?) is a competent MD but the interference is huge.
She has to have the authority to cut staff, change startegy etc. w/o politically influenced interference from above.

Free Telkom from their government interference and things will get better.
And I would say that in a comparable situation in any country.

antowan

Honorary Master
Lovely! Some more musical chairs at Telkom... Pfff... Whatever...

lexis

A chairperson for 1 year! It makes no sense. 6 months to blame your predecessor and 6 month to pass all your troubles on to your successor.

marine1

Honorary Master
Zuma pals score in V&A deal

http://business.iafrica.com/news/707365.html

A bid by Growthpoint and the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) has put Cape Town's Victoria & Alfred Waterfront back in local hands, but some of South Africa's most visible and controversial businesspeople are participants in the deal, according to a Mail&Gaurdian report

The M&G online report states that a number of people who are close to President Zuma are involved in the deal. This includes the Gupta family, newly-appointed Telkom chair Lazarus Zim and businessmen Ragavan Moonsamy.

All of these people have links to Growthpoint and the ruling ANC party and are participants in the Waterfront deal through "a complex series of investment holding companies".

The report says that sources claim Zim and Moonsamy both helped to move the sale forward. The men have denied these claims.

The report says part of the controversy surrounding the deal is the fact that Transnet pensioners effectively sold the Waterfront property for R7-billion in 2006 and "half of that has now been bought back by the broader pool of government pensioners for almost 50 percent more".

Also of concern is that the fate of the BEE shareholders who participated in the 2006 privatisation of the V&A is unclear.

antowan

Honorary Master
http://business.iafrica.com/news/707365.html

A bid by Growthpoint and the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) has put Cape Town's Victoria & Alfred Waterfront back in local hands, but some of South Africa's most visible and controversial businesspeople are participants in the deal, according to a Mail&Gaurdian report

The M&G online report states that a number of people who are close to President Zuma are involved in the deal. This includes the Gupta family, newly-appointed Telkom chair Lazarus Zim and businessmen Ragavan Moonsamy.

All of these people have links to Growthpoint and the ruling ANC party and are participants in the Waterfront deal through "a complex series of investment holding companies".

The report says that sources claim Zim and Moonsamy both helped to move the sale forward. The men have denied these claims.

The report says part of the controversy surrounding the deal is the fact that Transnet pensioners effectively sold the Waterfront property for R7-billion in 2006 and "half of that has now been bought back by the broader pool of government pensioners for almost 50 percent more".

Also of concern is that the fate of the BEE shareholders who participated in the 2006 privatisation of the V&A is unclear.

Stuff like this just pisses me off! :mad: