LCD TV - Problem with white glow seeping in from edges

DCS

Wanted to get some advice regarding my almost new 47" Phillips LCD Tv. Last night I noticed that in a few places around the edge of the screen there is a faint white glow that appears to be seeping into the image. At the time I could barely notice it and it is only really visible when there is a really dark picture on the screen. Once I had noticed it seemed to get worse, though that could be just in my mind. This was after a few hours playing PS3 on it. I checked it again this morning and the white glow appeared to be gone, so I found that a little weird.

After googling it seems this is quite a common problem with LCD panels, though I could not find any information as to wether this is something that gets worse over time. Has anyone experienced this before and is it something that gets worse over time?

The *&$( thing is I have just gone past the 14 day return period, or should I say I bought the TV exactly 14 days ago so not sure if today is included in the 14 day period. Also, not sure if this makes a difference but it was a demo model that Hi-Fi corp was selling so got a really good deal on it, R5000 for a FHD 47" Phillips LCD (R5000 was me already going over my maximum budget I could afford). If I return a demo model would Hi-fi corp still have to accept it?

And advice greatly appreciated as usual!

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Its the backlight "bleeding". Pretty much a quality issue with the manufacturer. If you think its too much take it back, but its not uncommon

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yup it is common on LCD's but a lot of the time you shouldn't really notice it, I'm not sure if Hi-Fi corp will sort out a demo unit, there is a reason you paid so little for it.

DCS

Yup it is common on LCD's but a lot of the time you shouldn't really notice it, I'm not sure if Hi-Fi corp will sort out a demo unit, there is a reason you paid so little for it.

At the time of purchase I confirmed that it had a full guarantee just as if it was a brand new product, though I am sure the sales guy would have said anything just to get it out of the shop. Was just wondering if anyone has had experience returning a demo product, though probably need prepare myself for a fight should I return it...

So do you think this is something that would get worse over time?

I have found a few places that suggest I turn down the backlight to help alleviate this problem, so will be playing around with the settings tonight...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Try turning down the backlight and see if you can still notice the bleed, other then that I've never seen a TV with a bleeding backlight so I can't say if it will get worse or not :-(

Fox1

Executive Member
A guarantee is a guarantee demo unit or not. I once returned a demo unit to them that was faulty. They didn't have a replacement unit so they gave me a gift card. Rather ask for a cash refund. Gift cards are a pain to have refunded by them.

Dames

Just CPA the **** out of them. I am sure they will have to take it back if it's faulty.

al360

nope its going to get worse thou it happened to my philips after 8 years only but its there godamnit and i need it to hold out till lthe internet panels become cheap come on philips u can do it just 1 more year lol
but seriously my friends had the same issue and he was too lazy to get it swapped and now its a nice night light by the braai instead of a tv lol

badtrev

If you adjust the backlight, contrast, and brightness settings, you may the find that the effect is reduced or removed altogether

Fox1

Executive Member
nope its going to get worse thou it happened to my philips after 8 years only but its there godamnit and i need it to hold out till lthe internet panels become cheap come on philips u can do it just 1 more year lol
but seriously my friends had the same issue and he was too lazy to get it swapped and now its a nice night light by the braai instead of a tv lol

Earlier this year I read that Philips have sold off their LCD TV manufacturing division to a Chinese manufacturer.

Here's the links:
http://www.whathifi.com/news/philip...n-to-chinese-joint-venture-to-head-off-losses
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/philips-sells-hdtv-business-to-hong-kong-based-tpv-technology-w/

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Pity they didn't have any plasma demo stock... :p

I challenge anyone here to show me their LCD TV with a black image without back-light bleed. :D:D

DCS

Ok... so have decided to take the TV back to Hi-fi Corp :-\

I am still within the 14 day exchange period, so am I entitled to ask for my money back and get a full refund? I know that they do not have any of these units left in stock so they wont be able to exchange it for the same product, so will they try offer me a similar unit in price or size and features? What would I need to say to increase my chances of getting a full refund?

I know they will answer these questions there, though just want to know my plan of action before I get there... As usual cheers for the advice!

EDIT...
Am actually hoping to get a refund coz I have my eye on the Samsung 51" (130cm) HD Ready Plazma TV from Makro.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Ok... so have decided to take the TV back to Hi-fi Corp :-\

I am still within the 14 day exchange period, so am I entitled to ask for my money back and get a full refund? I know that they do not have any of these units left in stock so they wont be able to exchange it for the same product, so will they try offer me a similar unit in price or size and features? What would I need to say to increase my chances of getting a full refund?

I know they will answer these questions there, though just want to know my plan of action before I get there... As usual cheers for the advice!

Yeah, something like that, unless demo stock is treated differently?

Are you sure that the light bleed is severe? Because it's common in LCDs, but some are worse than others...

What I'm saying is, at least check the new TV you get (if LCD) in as dark a possible environment.

Would also help if you took some pics for us to see how bad it is. :)

DCS

Thats the thing... It was hardly noticeable last night and this morning it was basically gone. I am just worried that it is something that gets worse over time.

There is another thing I am not too happy about with this TV which is that the actual screen is loose from the outside bezel. So if I press gently on the screen right in the corner where it has the backlight problem there is a small bit of play between the actual screen and the bezel. Now it is at most 1 or 2mm of play but it is still worrying because this is the corner where the backlight is seeping through... I would guess that it suffered some serious abuse to cause this, though perhaps its normal...

Tim182

Expert Member
Thats the thing... It was hardly noticeable last night and this morning it was basically gone. I am just worried that it is something that gets worse over time.

There is another thing I am not too happy about with this TV which is that the actual screen is loose from the outside bezel. So if I press gently on the screen right in the corner where it has the backlight problem there is a small bit of play between the actual screen and the bezel. Now it is at most 1 or 2mm of play but it is still worrying because this is the corner where the backlight is seeping through... I would guess that it suffered some serious abuse to cause this, though perhaps its normal...

Its normal for LCD's. As people have said, it differs from TV to TV. I have a Samsung LCD and its hardly noticable on mine. Even at night with very high backlight I can hardly make it out. Still, I have seen the same model with severe bleeding from the edges as well as in the middle of the display.

Some people have suggested tightening/loosening the screws around the edges. This helps on some TVs, on others it doesn't make a difference.

It shouldn't get worse over time, often it gets better. But since yours is a demo I don't think it'll get better. Probably it'll just stay as is.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Its normal for LCD's. As people have said, it differs from TV to TV. I have a Samsung LCD and its hardly noticable on mine. Even at night with very high backlight I can hardly make it out. Still, I have seen the same model with severe bleeding from the edges as well as in the middle of the display.

Some people have suggested tightening/loosening the screws around the edges. This helps on some TVs, on others it doesn't make a difference.

It shouldn't get worse over time, often it gets better. But since yours is a demo I don't think it'll get better. Probably it'll just stay as is.

Post a pic. :D

Tim182

Expert Member
Sure, will do when I get a chance

Sent from Android using Tapatalk