LED lights damage eyes and disturb sleep, European health authority warns

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Article

(CNN)The blue light in LED lighting that is increasingly used in our homes can damage the eye's retina while disturbing our biological and sleep rhythms, a French health authority warned in a new report.

New scientific evidence confirms the "phototoxic effects" of short-term exposures to high-intensity blue light, as well as an increased risk of age-related macular degeneration after chronic exposure to lower-intensity sources, according to the French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety, known as ANSES. Age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of vision loss among people over 50, causes damage to the macula, a small spot near the center of the retina that's needed for sharp central vision.

Yet protection from the harmful effects to the retina offered by "anti-blue light" screens, filters and sunglasses varies, and their ability to preserve sleep rhythms is not proven, ANSES also said.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Ouch. I wonder if there's a difference between the warm white and cool white versions of it's the blue that's an issue?

Tomtomtom

There's less, but warm white still has a blue spike.

i.stack.imgur.com/lkyXG.png

I'm not a fan of LED light quality. The CRI is crap. The strobe effect from the driver is worse. There's a reason galleries, decent restaurants etc. don't light with LED, or CFL for that matter. Probably not a coincidence the study came out of France...