LED Pool Light

Greggle

I was thinking of installing an LED pool light as my current bulb has blown and called a very helpful 'Pool Man' in Cape Town Southern Subs to get a quote. He however suggested that I rather not go for an LED bulb. He said that they had had a fair number of problems with them and many customers had complained that they were not very bright.

So I was wondering if any of you out there have an LED bulb in your pool and what your experiences had been with them. Any recommendations of good ones perhaps?

(PS I'm just looking for a regular one ... not one of those that mimac disco lights.)

mister

Executive Member
I like mine, it has a soft blue light. I'll take a picture for you tonight.

Greggle

Thanks Mr ... and if you have the make / manufacturer of it I'd appreciate the name.

Waaib

Executive Member
I installed an LED pool light a few weeks ago. Very happy with it. The chap in the pool shop said that in 2 years he had only had 2 come back. One had been kicked by kids swimming and the LED's still worked but housing was broken. The other was faulty (he didn't say how) and was replaced under the 1 year warranty. It's a plain blue light. No features apart from On and OFF. Installed it myself. It cost R450 plus 30 minutes to install. I don't know the make or brand though. My pool shop is in Durbanville.

Greggle

Thanks Waaib for the feedback. Think I may also try and install it myself.

fxit_man

Executive Member
Got one here and it's really awesome at night!

Multi colour one that has different settings: one colour, or transition to multiple colours from green, to blue, to purple.

The only one that doesn't really work well is red

scotty777

...doesn't know
I guess it all depends on the LEDs being used, and their light density... However, LEDs will last a bloody long time, which is nice.

Greggle

Oh wow - that's really a seriously cool colour! Thanks for taking the pics and for the link ... I think I'll chat to a pool shop and try and get one of those bulbs.
Will just have to remember to turn it off when we go skinny-dipping ... hhhmmm, or maybe not!? :D

mister

Executive Member
Lol. It's quite stunning in real life, the pics don't do it justice.

simonbee

I too am looking to go the LED route. Before I do, is it possible to get a remote control version? Currently I have to turn my pool light on and off via the switch next to the pool pump, which is hidden out theway in a dark corner of the garden....not the easiest place to get to in the dark to switch the light on or off!

Greggle

I too am looking to go the LED route. Before I do, is it possible to get a remote control version? Currently I have to turn my pool light on and off via the switch next to the pool pump, which is hidden out theway in a dark corner of the garden....not the easiest place to get to in the dark to switch the light on or off!

Yes, I believe there is. See here:

"The Lighting Warehouse offers special LED pool globes that come with
a remote control, whereby you can change from the normal
cool white setting to a 14-colour-changing setting to create a
kind of underwater light show."

Waaib

Executive Member
I was quoted R2800 for the remote control LED multi-color light. The pool shop guy also aid he'd had several come backs on them so wasn't keen to sell it to me.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I have a multicolour one - it stopped working this week - well, it still works, but doesn't change colour anymore :( All the leds are on. I'll take it out this weekend and see whats up.

xrapidx

Honorary Master

Do what I did - get a digital circuit timer thingy (replaces the switch) (like your pump runs on, but get the digital one) - it cost me R200 and took me 30min to install - my light now turns on at 8pm and turns off at 11pm.

Insider

I've got a multi-coloured LED and it's worth it. No hassles in the past three years. Before that - regular globes = lots of maintenance and cold water immersion.

Greggle

Thought I'd revive this old post to let you all know that I have finally put an LED light in my pool and offer a tip. It was not as bright as I thought it would be ... but I found that if you tilt it to point slightly down, the light reflects off of the bottom of the pool and it ends up making brighter all around.

CraigS2

Revival! I have an old fibreglass pool without a pool light so I'm not keen to punch a hole or lift the paving to run electrical cable. Are there any battery/solar powered, surface mounted, pool lights out there? I can't seem to find any except the ones that float on the surface of the water.

LED light installation

I installed an LED pool light a few weeks ago. Very happy with it. The chap in the pool shop said that in 2 years he had only had 2 come back. One had been kicked by kids swimming and the LED's still worked but housing was broken. The other was faulty (he didn't say how) and was replaced under the 1 year warranty. It's a plain blue light. No features apart from On and OFF. Installed it myself. It cost R450 plus 30 minutes to install. I don't know the make or brand though. My pool shop is in Durbanville.

When you installed it, did you have existing pool light fittings, or did you have to install new fittings on a pool with no lights?