Legal battle threatens to put the brakes on eNaTiS

DWPTA

Expert Member
LEGAL BATTLE THREATENS TO PUT THE BRAKES ON ENATIS

There were mass resignations at Tasima, the company managing eNaTiS amid an ugly legal battle.

Eyewitness News (EWN) has learnt that an ongoing legal battle between the company which runs the traffic database, the Electronic National Administration Traffic Information System (eNaTiS), the Department of Transport and the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) is threatening to collapse the system.

eNaTiS processes transactions such as vehicle licencing and driver’s licences and stores the data.

The company, Tasima, is in the process of transferring the system to the department but disagreements of how this should be done have led to allegations of unlawful conduct and referrals to the High Court.

EWN understands that Tasima employees resigned en masse on Friday to take up employment at the RTMC, but Tasima Chief Executive, Denesh Naran, said an internal email was sent to staff on Friday stating that the immediate resignations were unlawful.

Naran accuses the cooperation of interfering with the company’s business operations by trying to take over the system.

A Tasima employee who did not want to be identified said if all the resigned staff did not report for duty on Monday, eNaTiS could collapse and will have dire consequences for licensing departments across the country.

In several emails to staff over the past month, Naran said any attempt by the department or the RTMC to take control of their premises or evict Tasima would be unlawful and in contempt of court.

The issue of the transfer of eNaTiS is still before the courts and Tasima is still in possession of and still continues to operate the system.

LEGAL BATTLE THREATENS TO PUT THE BRAKES ON ENATIS

Another day in Africa.

LaraC

Honorary Master
How will the legal battle affect new vehicle registrations and renewal of licences?

rrh

Expert Member
How will the legal battle affect new vehicle registrations and renewal of licences?

The legalities shouldn't interfere with the running of the system.

OTOH, a lot depends on the state of the system and whether or not the resigning staff interfered with the running of the system.

Last edited:

LPCPT

If Tasima hands over the system, why not just transfer all the employees as well. The labour law makes provision for this.

With no system they will not get paid so they will have to retrench all staff.
Guess they will loose out on their management/outsourcing fees. These companies usually try do ride the client for as much as possible.

Lazy

So let me get this straight. This is the system which was used by so many open source fanatics to prove just how great open source is, which was so vastly over budget when finally delivered. This same system that had failure after failure after launch, would collapse into a pile of doom and gloom by Monday of those people who resigned on Friday don't come back to work? This over a single weekend?

What are they doing? Are they taking shifts to manually turn the crank to keep the power on? Do they rewrite your forms by hand?
I don't get it...

Last edited:

Albereth

Honorary Master
So let me get this straight. This is the system which was used by so many open source fanatics to prove just how great open source is, which was so vastly over budget when finally delivered. This same system that had failure after failure after launch, would collapse into a pile of doom and gloom by Monday of those people who resigned on Friday don't come back to work? This over a single weekend?

What are they doing? Are they taking shifts to manually turn the crank to keep the power on? Do they rewrite your forms by hand?
I don't get it...

And for which we all got a levy on license renewals because knobs couldn't calculate capacity and had to buy additional hardware.

Nod

Executive Member

I don't get it...

No system is fool proof. The technology used would not make a difference.

JackWhite

Expert Member

I don't get it...

You basing your questions from an unidentified employee? I don't get it

Lazy

No system is fool proof. The technology used would not make a difference.

The only way the technology used would not make a difference is if a) all things are equal and b) we ignore those pesky non functional requirements

Lazy

You basing your questions from an unidentified employee? I don't get it

No, I'm basing my question on an article on ewn.co.za and information that is and has been publicly available since eNatis went live.

Nod

Executive Member
The only way the technology used would not make a difference is if a) all things are equal and b) we ignore those pesky non functional requirements

And the problem between the keyboard and chair ...