Legal torrents

CorneN

Expert Member
what is legal torrents, 47 different version of Linux and a couple VB scripts with build in coding errors ? I'll take some....

All of which you can download locally and save some cap you would have wasted on seeding...

disabled

Expert Member
How smart everyone is on this thread...Torrents=Piracy it's as simple as that!:rolleyes:

Tux

Software Communist
How smart everyone is on this thread...Torrents=Piracy it's as simple as that!:rolleyes:

Au contraire mon ami. If you have a moment to spare.. Like when you take your foot out of your mouth to insert the other one, have a look at this page (just a quick example that I can recall off the top of my head) http://opensuse.mirror.ac.za/opensuse/distribution/11.1/iso/

see the file named: [ ] openSUSE-11.1-Addon-Lang-i586.iso.torrent ?

Now how in baby jesus' name does that constitute piracy? Please do enlighten me.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol used to distribute large amounts of data.

http://www.bittorrent.com/

BitTorrent is the global standard for accessing rich media over the Internet.

http://www.bittorrent.org/

BitTorrent is not just a concept, but has an easy-to-use implementation capable of swarming downloads across unreliable networks. BitTorrent has been embraced by numerous publishers to distribute to millions of users.

http://torrents.gentoo.org/

hmmmm... about twenty torrents on that page... all perfectly legal.

You idiots who think that Torrents are ALL illegal need to get a clue. It is a distribution protocol, nothing more nothing less.

I can carry drugs in my briefcase... does that make the briefcase illegal?

Come on... I thought South Africans were a pretty smart bunch. You guys are acting like a bunch of ignoramiii.

Toitjie

Expert Member
anyway point being.... theres no fun in downloadin a torrent that is legal.... cause if it is legal then u can download it from a ftp at faster rates and more reliable anyway...

like 95% ppl use torrents to download illegal content ... meanin cracked games.... or software.....

thats how things work... u cant ignore that fact

Toitjie

Expert Member
Then shouldn't you be blaming the users, instead of the software?

hey im not complaining at all.... i 4 one only use torrents when i have no other choice... but im not a big fan of torrents... ive never downloaded a movie or a game from a torrent site... all i downloaded was mayb some software not exceeding 100mb ...

Tux

Software Communist
hey im not complaining at all.... i 4 one only use torrents when i have no other choice... but im not a big fan of torrents... ive never downloaded a movie or a game from a torrent site... all i downloaded was mayb some software not exceeding 100mb ...

Quoth Bill Clinton: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman...."

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
anyway point being.... theres no fun in downloadin a torrent that is legal.... cause if it is legal then u can download it from a ftp at faster rates and more reliable anyway...

like 95% ppl use torrents to download illegal content ... meanin cracked games.... or software.....

no, the fault lies with our local infrastructure and Telkom. If bandwidth were more readily available more people would use it for legal files. I would love to have all the latest Linux distros loaded up in my Torrent client and seeding them cos then it means more people would have access to Linux. In fact I would love to have all the Free Software listed in signature available via BitTorrent. But bandwidth costs in South Africa prohibit that.

Arko2

Legal

Some time back, dowloading Nero from FTP was very slow , but fast from
a torrent site and legal. So FTP is not always faster. Nero is given you the option FTP-HTTP- Torrent.

jdjoubert

So what are you trying to make us believe?

"Yeah. so I stabbed this guy with a knife and he died, but I should not get into any trouble, cause I only stuck the knife halfway into him. No harm in that"
:rolleyes:

Blaze786

Expert Member
There is nothing on the site worthwhile, +1 for the effort though, I will stick to getting my distro's from FTP's :)

Ludjer

http or ftp is far better to download from for legal content.

thats rofls
i still need to find a public ftp server that can show me more then 5mbps on my dedi in germany, off torrents i get upto 18mbps that still does not fill my 1Gbps pipe but still better then direct downloads

the main reason why torrents are becoming bigger in the legal world and even companies is that it is multi-sourced i mean look at World of warcraft over 11 million people play it, now try and find a server that can handle even 1 million connections at once downloading a 1GB section. P2P is the way of the future though many noobs out there look at it and say p2p is for illegal items, but its not. the main reason why we dont like it here is that it wastes our bandwidth, overseas they dont know of caps and i mean 1 server with a 1gbps line will never be able to give the speed as 300x10mb lines.
thats why all the linux distros are p2p and also look at azureus or VUZE what they now call it, thousands of people are using it and there speeds and quality beat any trailer or free movie place.

just my 2 rand :D
edit***

this post make me lols. you need to go do research on your facts mate there are so many people that use torrents for legal items.

people need to learn more about the internet i dont like it if they have been on the internet for like 1-2 years and they think they are sages of the internet. do your research next time before posting facts :D

Last edited: