Leisure travel in the long weekend

johnspake

Hello!

Since intra-provincial leisure travel is now allowed, how many will be hitting the roads this coming long weekend? I am planning for a road trip on the Garden Route up to Tsitsikamma. Do you folks think this is a good idea in terms of health safety and worthiness (considering some areas might be closed, like beaches)? If I don't get to chill on the beach or visit Storms River, I might regret doing this trip.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
uhm ... you based in the Western Cape? ... because Tsitsikamma is actually on the other side of the border with the Eastern Cape i.e. not allowed, whether or not someone will stop you is another story however

I think getting away a bit is an excellent idea, one that I'm desperate to do myself, but I've always avoided road trips on long weekends and will do so this time around as well. Personally I don't want to see other people at all when I'm on holiday, not because of covid but because relaxation to me does not entail sitting in bumper traffic on Sir Lowry's pass

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Hello!

Since intra-provincial leisure travel is now allowed, how many will be hitting the roads this coming long weekend? I am planning for a road trip on the Garden Route up to Tsitsikamma. Do you folks think this is a good idea in terms of health safety and worthiness (considering some areas might be closed, like beaches)? If I don't get to chill on the beach or visit Storms River, I might regret doing this trip.
Well, it's a malaria free area so nothing to worry about.
And you could try going from WC to EC for that last part, but if there is a road block they will probably tell you to turn around.

Friends of mine went hunting in EC a few times already, they havn't gone through any roadblocks but you never know when there could be one....

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
uhm ... you based in the Western Cape? ... because Tsitsikamma is actually on the other side of the border with the Eastern Cape i.e. not allowed, whether or not someone will stop you is another story however

I think getting away a bit is an excellent idea, one that I'm desperate to do myself, but I've always avoided road trips on long weekends and will do so this time around as well. Personally I don't want to see other people at all when I'm on holiday, not because of covid but because relaxation to me does not entail sitting in bumper traffic on Sir Lowry's pass
Doesn't the Tsitsikamma National Park span the border between Western and Eastern Cape, so it is actually within both Provinces ?

And OP said:
planning for a road trip on the Garden Route up to Tsitsikamma.
so should be fine, since the Eastern Cape Border is at the town of Tsitsikamma on the N2.

Last edited:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Doesn't the Tsitsikamma National Park span the border between Western and Eastern Cape, so it is actually within both Provinces ?

And OP said:
so should be fine, since the Eastern Cape Border is at the town of Tsitsikamma on the N2.
the border is the bloukrans bridge i.e. before the town of Tsitsikamma (the village rather?)

but yeah the park spans both provinces, the storms river mouth rest camp tends to be what people mean when they simply say "Tsitsikamma" though and that is in the Eastern Cape ... OP specifically mentions the storms river ...

Last edited:

johnspake

Aah, yes. I missed the part where the border is before Storms River. That is just at the border so I highly doubt there will be any roadblocks on that side. However, if there are, I will turn back and explore something else.. Garden Route will not leave me disappointed!

What about the beaches? Do you know if these will be closed off, especially the ones not close to the towns?

"D"

Expert Member
Friends of mine went hunting in EC a few times already, they havn't gone through any roadblocks but you never know when there could be one.
Nighttime unlikely, especially for such remote locations/crossings.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Aah, yes. I missed the part where the border is before Storms River. That is just at the border so I highly doubt there will be any roadblocks on that side. However, if there are, I will turn back and explore something else.. Garden Route will not leave me disappointed!

What about the beaches? Do you know if these will be closed off, especially the ones not close to the towns?
Are they closed off anywhere in South Africa?

Drifter

Honorary Master
I dont know if it is wise to try cross borders. My wife went to a funeral in North West this past Monday, on the way back they hit a Army/SAPS roadblock at around 20:30. Every single car was stopped and searched and asked for permits etc.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master

And OP said:
Isn't it between Tsitsikamma and Plett? Bloukrans pass I think

chrisc

Executive Member
In Sutherland this weekend. No problems. Left the N1 at Matjiesfontein, no roadblocks on the R354.

From the N1 to Sutherland, passed 2 cars coming south. Its usually a bit busier than that on a Friday

Sutherland itself is deserted. Saw one person in the street. Nothing going on. The butchery was open and no-one inside yesterday morning

Temp 2 deg this morning, but brilliant day, is now 5 deg. Swiss friends think it is fantastic

1596970632775.png

Last edited:

Space

Highly recommend Afristay or Lekkeslaap or sleeping-out.co.za if you’re searching for budget accommodation (I am in no way affiliated to any one of them).

We were at Kagga Kamma this week - in the Koue Bokkeveld other side of Ceres.
They are ready for bookings and have used the time in lockdown to update their facilities.
Good food and 4-star accommodation highly recommended for 1 or 2 nights - they are running a winter special:

include “booking code: AfricanRhino” in your booking request message on their online form.

Last edited:

3GLee

If you travelling on a work permit, can your family join on the trip or will they require a permit as well?

In other words, one permit for family (Spouse + child) or one per adult?

R13...

Honorary Master
If you travelling on a work permit, can your family join on the trip or will they require a permit as well?

In other words, one permit for family (Spouse + child) or one per adult?
Suppose you could get a family permit but everyone's details should be on there. Your work permit isn't going to cut it for that purpose.