Lekota gets standing ovation - Ramaphosa a 'sell-out'

BBSA

Honorary Master
He sticks to his principles. Isn't a sellout. Why he left the ANC in the first place when things started going down hill, before it was even cool to do so.
Also he does not do identity politics.

Alan

Honorary Master
He sticks to his principles. Isn't a sellout. Why he left the ANC in the first place when things started going down hill, before it was even cool to do so.
In 1994, when the ANC took power, there were unfortunate changes at Eskom: some of them predictable, some of them surprising. Race-based affirmative action, political inter-ference, and political appointments were predictable. Highly skilled and experienced white engineers, managers, and technicians were given generous ‘packages’ to get out and make way for persons of the correct skin colour and political affiliation. This was sometimes known as ‘space creation’. To Eskom’s previous single brief – providing sufficient electricity – wereadded various political and ideological objectives.The unexpected changes were even worse. The ANC had long been regarded as Marxist in outlook and was expected to favour state-run institutions.

To everyone’s surprise, there soon began to be talk about Eskom being ‘unbundled’ or privatised. The State also seemed to be intent on taking away Eskom’s obligation to supply. In 1998 it forbade Eskom to build new stations. However, the new directives were also vague and confusing, lacking clarity and consistency. Eskom fell into a void. It no longer knew what it was meant to be doing, or even what its key function was. In addition, no private genera-
tors so much as offered to come in because the price of electricity was much too low

Meanwhile, the country was running out of electricity. This was clear to a school child. After 1993 growth
in electricity demand, as a ratio of economic growth, fell from 2:1 to 1.1, but remained very steady at this ratio. Electricity demand was growing in tandem with the economy, and our ‘surplus’ electricity was steadily and predictably shrinking to nothing.

In its election campaign in 1994, the ANC had promised an annual economic growth rate of 6%, which South Africa could easily have attained – especially as other developing countries were growing even faster. If we had increased growth to 6% a year, we would have run out of electricity in 2001. As it was, we seldom had growth much above 3% a year, and so we ran out in about 2007. One of the greatest lies of this era, often repeated by many ANC politicians, was that we ran out of electricity because we were ‘victims of our own success’ (unexpectedly high growth). Actually growth was unexpectedly low, and we still ran out of
electricity.
https://irr.org.za/reports/atLiberty/files/liberty-2013-the-rise-and-fall-of-eskom-2013-and-how-to-fix-it-now

Lekota is cut from the same cloth as the rest of the corrupt incompetent comrades....

thechamp

Honorary Master
Another reason to vote for COPE, I was hoping for that specific reason arising from this incident. Everyone is aware of hiw he left the ANC.

rietrot

Honorary Master
https://irr.org.za/reports/atLiberty/files/liberty-2013-the-rise-and-fall-of-eskom-2013-and-how-to-fix-it-now

Lekota is cut from the same cloth as the rest of the corrupt incompetent comrades....
I kinda expect better, less emotional pieces from the IRR they make a lot of claims in there that I'm not sure to what extent it is true.

Anyway you are free to disagree with me. I'm not holding Lecota accountable for all the sin the ANC committed over the years no matter how real of imaginary.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
He seems borderline crazy by bringing up this stuff at the SONA. Does he not care about what is happening now?

Alan

Honorary Master
I kinda expect better, less emotional pieces from the IRR they make a lot of claims in there that I'm not sure to what extent it is true.

Anyway you are free to disagree with me. I'm not holding Lecota accountable for all the sin the ANC committed over the years no matter how real of imaginary.
Which claims do you take issue with?

Do you consider the arms deal corruption case real or imaginary? Lekota first supported the deal, signed it as defence minster and still defends it....

The controversial 1999 arms deal was cost effective and necessary for South Africa, former defence minister Mosiuoa Lekota said on Tuesday.
Lekota responded: "I do not subscribe to that view. I was convinced along others that it [the arms deal] was in the interests of the country, it was the correct thing, it was affordable and I voted along."
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Lekota-Arms-deal-was-affordable-20140610

dlk001

Executive Member
Ramaphosa's speech cut deep. People died through these kinds of rumours. It seems there are unfinished issues between him and Terror.