Lenovo’s security debacle reveals blurred boundary between adware and malware

Wall

Sports Addict
I just got a Lenovo T420i company laptop, what do I need to know?

biometrics

Honorary Master
Just check if Superfish is installed in Control Panel/Programs. Thinkpads were not affected though.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
The entire Superfish thing was badly reported and massively overhyped - for some context and sanity check out Steve Gibson's analysis on the latest Security Now at twit.tv

bruce_the_loon

Well, at least it got one good thing done. Lenovo has now committed to removing all bloatware from their machines once they start shipping with Windows 10. Now if only the other laptop manufacturers will do so as well.

cfilorux

Brave new world

Le nouveau monde brave

Last edited:

WireFree

This is a good example of why computer hardware should not be bundled with an operating system and software. The OS and software should be sold separately. You can then either buy the hardware vendor's modified version of Windows, the vanilla clean Windows from Microsoft, or another OS (like Linux or BSD).

Anyway, how clean and secure is Android on most smartphones and tablets?

All software cannot be trusted if it has been modified by a middle man between the software OS vendor and the end user. All users, whether you prefer Windows or another OS, should have a vested interest in not allowing middle men involved.

Last edited:

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
This is why you ALWAYS format your PC using a generic install disk.