• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Lenovo V510-15IKB USB 3.0 not working properly

blind1021

Hi,

I have a strange problem with my USB 3.0 ports on my laptop, when I plug any flashdrives or phones into them, they provide power but its not detected on windows, when I move them to the USB 2.0 ports the devices are detected, but when I plug my one 1TB external drive in the ports detects the drive and everything works fine, my other 1TB external drive however doesn't always work on the USB 3.0 ports.

Here's what I tried;
* removing and reinstalling chipset drivers - no luck
* removing and reinstalling usb drivers - no luck
* Installed latest drivers of usb and chipset - no luck
* removed drivers and let windows handle installation of new drivers - no luck
(All other drivers are up to date)

I searched online but cannot find my particular problem.

I want to try and fix it without formatting the laptop, I will do that if I have no other options left.

System specification:

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz ~ 2.90GHz
RAM - 20.0GB
OS - Windows 10 Pro x64
Primary Storage - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD
GPU - AMD Radeon(TM) R5 M430

What could be the problem, and how can I try to fix it ?

sajunky

Honorary Master
I think it is a weak power delivery on the USB3.0 port. Do you have dual Type-A plugs (also called Y-cable) for a hard drive? Put secondary plug into USB2.0 port, then a main plug to the USB3.0 port.

Or use self powered USB 3.0 hub (with external power supply) and check whether it helps or not.

blind1021

I think it is a weak power delivery on the USB3.0 port. Do you have dual Type-A plugs (also called Y-cable) for a hard drive? Put secondary plug into USB2.0 port, then a main plug to the USB3.0 port.

Or use self powered USB 3.0 hub (with external power supply) and check whether it helps or not.
I will try the hub just need to buy one, I have a Y-type cable I will test it on both drives, they used to work properly before therefore I think it could be a software thing