Lenovo's profit falls 69% as PC market remains lifeless

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
It's not that it remains lifeless. It's because Lenovo isn't doing enough for their notebooks in traditional form factors to make them appealing to consumers.

Most vendors aren't doing enough, TBH. They're sticking to old strategies and assumptions about their target market. HP makes boatloads of money in the same segment, so perhaps they should stop blaming their failure on the market and try fix the problem?

DeSLAM

I've actually found quite a number of HP products becoming less reliable than they used to be in the past, perhaps due to mass production...But its definitely a factor that makes me think twice about selling the brand these days. They definitely went through a bad spot in terms of quality.

Why do you perceive HP notebook form factors are so different to Lenovos?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It's not that it remains lifeless. It's because Lenovo isn't doing enough for their notebooks in traditional form factors to make them appealing to consumers.

Most vendors aren't doing enough, TBH. They're sticking to old strategies and assumptions about their target market. HP makes boatloads of money in the same segment, so perhaps they should stop blaming their failure on the market and try fix the problem?

This I would agree with..

They all have one or two products that are mouth watering... but they come with eye watering price tags these days so are totally out of reach to most people.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
This I would agree with..

They all have one or two products that are mouth watering... but they come with eye watering price tags these days so are totally out of reach to most people.

Alternatively, they need to do what Dell did. Buy out all their shareholders, de-list from the stock exchanges, and stop worrying about chasing buzzwords and dumb suggestions from people with no knowledge of how their actions end up affecting the market. They're still small enough that a buy-out isn't impossible, and it's the same for Acer, HP, and most of the PC market.

Not Apple though, they're past the point of no return. They need another visionary as CEO, not a former CFO who likes hard numbers and factual statistics.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The PC market is far from lifeless. It's some of the PC brands that are lifeless. Every time there's a big tech show going on with dozens of new products unveiled, 90+% are garbage. Especially in the laptop segment.

Lenovo needs to grow a brain and start providing the products that consumers want.

OCP

Expert Member
I've actually found quite a number of HP products becoming less reliable than they used to be in the past, perhaps due to mass production...But its definitely a factor that makes me think twice about selling the brand these days. They definitely went through a bad spot in terms of quality.

Why do you perceive HP notebook form factors are so different to Lenovos?

Agree - built quality of hp is not what it used to be.

Can't comment on the entry level/consumer models but on the business models HP has been very disappointing.
We have a boat load of folio's that have a very high rate of failure/overheating.

All the Lenovo's (T470p) we have bought subsequent are all still functioning 100%

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I read somewhere that PC gaming has become far bigger than console gaming in recent times. So PCs are being sold or rather made