Lephalale 66MW solar power project a "ray of light"

fish

The CEO of Tom Burker Solar Park, Lamberto Dai Pra, said they have invested R850 billion in the project, with more than half a million solar panels that will supply power to about 40 000 South African families.
**** this project makes Medupi look like a bargain. I'm hoping that's R850 million

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
I have one question about this 'ray of hope' - when is Eksdom scheduled to connect it to the grid? 2020?

StellenboschStudent

Expert Member
I just don't understand the cost of these solar parks.
When you buy in bulk, and import panels from China, as I am sure they are doing, it will cost you about R6/Watt.
So, for the 66MW that is R400 million. For 500 000 panels, building structures to mount them and buying land cannot be much more than R200-300 million. So that begs the question, where is the remaining R150 million?
Down payment for a new jet?

gifs

Expert Member
So that begs the question, where is the remaining R150 million?
Down payment for a new jet?
P&G's
Water supply
Roads
Electricity reticulation
Fencing
Staff facilities
Engineering
Environmental Studies and Monitoring
Project Management
Contractor's Profit

Vicks

Think that is a mistake. Medupi is about R300 Billion. R850Mil seems possible.
ABB's contract for the automation system for Kusile power station is $160Mil (yes USD). That is without the generators' excitation system. (The excitation system is being done by another vendor.)

Make it R8/W for the solar panel costs based on the R/$ and the guys still need to markup the panels.
500 000 panels need to be mounted on steel structures. so add some cash for that.
additional costs not stated:
Preparation of land.
Digging of trenches.
Assembly of structures.
Earthing of structures.
Cabling from panels to String boxes.
Cabling from String boxes to Inverter stations.
Inverters.
Step up transformer to connect to grid.
Some MV switchgear.

We build 1MW Inverter stations and have a subcontractor to build the transformers. You are looking at roughly R1.1Mill per MW Inverter station and transformer.

Last edited:

fish

The R850Mil for 66MW works out to roughly R12.87 Watt Which is pretty good price.

I work for a Commercial Solar installation company and our lowest price is R14/watt for roof mount.

The ground mounting structures are expensive.

Ianf1

Expert Member
The CEO of Tom Burker Solar Park, Lamberto Dai Pra, said they have invested R850 billion in the project, with more than half a million solar panels that will supply power to about 40 000 South African families.
Are these figures correct, can MYBB check with the source?

dabean

Expert Member
Are these figures correct, can MYBB check with the source?
http://www.greenbusinessguide.co.za/ternienergia-signs-148-5-mw-pv-deal-sa/

TerniEnergia Projects PTY Ltd, a South Africa subsidiary of TerniEnergia, will oversee the developments of the projects – a 82.5 MW solar plant in Paleisheuwel, and a 66 MW solar park in Tom Burke, for a combined investment of approximately $197 million.
R850 million probably, if both combined cost less than 3 billion.

Jan

Drifting in the black
I queried the figure with Enel, the company which owns 60% of project company Tobivox, and it confirmed that the actual investment in the Tom Burke Solar Park was indeed R850 million, not billion.

Thanks to Devilish for reporting the error in the article mistakes thread.

Ianf1

Expert Member
I queried the figure with Enel, the company which owns 60% of project company Tobivox, and it confirmed that the actual investment in the Tom Burke Solar Park was indeed R850 million, not billion.

Thanks to Devilish for reporting the error in the article mistakes thread.
Well done for checking, I didn't know there is a separate thread to report article mistakes :eek:
This site is getting too confusing for me.