Less than 1 day's blood left - News24

eye_suc

Expert Member
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2354594,00.html

Blood stocks around the country have plummeted to less than a day's supply, the South African National Blood Service (SANBS) said on Wednesday.
...which brings me to a question:
Why don't we get paid to donate blood, like in the states?

and for that matter, why don't we get paid to donate anything else, like male reproductive cells :) i know some people on this forum could make a killing doing this for a living.

CathJ

Expert Member
AFAIK, it provides too much of an incentive - you're more likely to donate when you shouldn't, just for the money.

Also because the blood services just can't afford it.

Pitbull

Verboten

Nocturnity

Expert Member
Also because the blood services just can't afford it.
Bull. Have you seen what they charge for blood at the hospitals? They had a whole long argument about it on CapeTalk the other day. Also, the common belief that if you donate blood, it's free when you need it is false.

medicnick83

Paramedic
I'd donate blood if i wasn't such a chicken shyte! (I'm really scared of needles)

If they can get it outta me another way, go for it! :)

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Bull. Have you seen what they charge for blood at the hospitals? They had a whole long argument about it on CapeTalk the other day. Also, the common belief that if you donate blood, it's free when you need it is false.
Would like to see a breakdown on the charges levied on blood.

I suspect a huge chunk of this goes towards medical aids.

CathJ

Expert Member
Also, the common belief that if you donate blood, it's free when you need it is false.
Really? I'd like to see a source for that.

Not that I'm doubting you, but I know when I signed up the form said you get free blood if you need it if you're an active donor (of course there could be other costs involved in a blood transfusion, but they don't charge for the blood).

In fact, I have the exact wording here on my donor card:
"All blood donors wgi receuve blood transfusions are eligilbe to apply for donor benefits and should application for further details".

So maybe there are stricter requirements, or the benefits are limited in some cases? Would be interesting to know more.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
In Germany its 20 Euros for donating....

why don't we get paid to donate anything else, like male reproductive cells :) i know some people on this forum could make a killing doing this for a living.
Reminds me of them comedy series "My family" and that Nick guy commenting about his new job & job satisfaction.:D

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

eye_suc

Expert Member
That would be selling - not donating and I never got paid for it. :confused:
hmmm, fair enough :p but even if you had the option to sell blood, our country doesn't do it. in all fairness though, the costs involved in preparing the blood and screening it for diseases (think HIV and other nasties) must be quite high. not sure if the states has that overhead.

If they can get it outta me another way, go for it! :)
like a fist fight? first guy with a bloody nose gets turned upside down and drained :)

anybody remember that Wayans movie, Senseless? nasty, but profitable!

Just_Ice

Executive Member
I think Ill go donate later. It will be my third time. Doesnt hurt at all! Be brave Gdiza!
The reason they dont pay you for doing it is because the risk of people with aids coming to donate is then higher. Why? Poor people will do anything for money, including donating blood and the prevalence of AIDS in the lower income bracket is much higher. So they just want people to do it out of their own free will and then chances are you will know you are ok to donate.

Plus they give you free biscuits and juice :D Only takes like 30 minutes in any case.

eye_suc

Expert Member
well, the own-free-will thing seems to be causing some shortages :( be careful on the roads and stuff, there might be no blood for us

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Talking of blood saw an accident yesterday in mount edgecombe durban, bukkie Tboned a bmw and then rolled onto its side. There was so much blood with this arm protruding out from under the vehicle. (Read in the paper he died) Thought I should donate some blood too after seeing that.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I saw an insert on some investigative show (can't remember whether it was 3rd Degree or Carte Blanche) where they exposed the mismanagement/ill-handling of blood by the bloodbank. I must admit, I donated blood quite frequently up until I saw that expose...

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2354594,00.html

...which brings me to a question:
Why don't we get paid to donate blood, like in the states?

and for that matter, why don't we get paid to donate anything else, like male reproductive cells :) i know some people on this forum could make a killing doing this for a living.

A while ago I asked that question and my post was closed:confused:. I think that if we could sell it for example to over seas we could export mssive amounts. The unemployed in this country could every month earn some money. Its a legit idea!!!!:cool:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
As I understand it, its not the actual supply of blood being donated but rather the type of blood. It's a side effect of the black/white demographic distribution in SA. Statistically very little of the "black" blood can be used for donation since the blood types are not distributed identically across all races. (Few blacks are O-...not a racist issue...thats just the way it is)

That is also why those money for blood ideas would fail in SA...all the poor blacks would donate and we'd still be stuck with a blood shortages because a bunch of A+ blood can mainly be used for plasma etc.

There was some scientific breakthrough some time back where they managed to change the bloodtype of a batch of blood though. Promising stuff.

eye_suc

Expert Member
The unemployed in this country could every month earn some money. Its a legit idea!!!!:cool:
can't they do it on your ID number? this way there can be no confusion. the homeless just need to have the required documentation :)

"sorry sir, it seems you have already donated blood in the last two months. come back next week."