Less than 1 day's blood left - News24

Amida

Expert Member
Selling of anybody part is ilegal for obvious reasons.

But I know that sperm banks pay up to R300 a pop but they say it's only for you trouble not for the sperm.

bullfrog

Expert Member
I donate blood regularly and am O-

Unfortunately for me this means I am a universal donor, but I can only take O-.

I would also like to know what are causing the shortages and if it's not enough people donating, why aren't you?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
can't they do it on your ID number? this way there can be no confusion. the homeless just need to have the required documentation :)
Fingerprints. ID's are not close to reliable. When they introduced fingerprinting to replace IDs at one of the mines they found that 20% of the people were not who they said they were. People just send a cousin or someone for a week or so.:rolleyes:

bullfrog said:
why aren't you?
Doc said I shouldn't....mad low blood pressure:eek: Respect to those that do.

bullfrog

Expert Member
Doc said I shouldn't....mad low blood pressure:eek: Respect to those that do.
That is understandable.

I have fairly low blood pressure too, well lower than perfect, but not too low to donate. I got dizzy and nearly fainted the last time I went, so I can imagine that low blood pressure could be dangerous when donating.

But to those who just don't donate and have no reason, it's more those people I'm wondering about. Fine if you sleep around a lot, then rather stay away, but the rest who don't, why not?

I overcame my fears of needles by starting to donate. I never had a massive needle fear to start with, but it was there. The needle looks big, but it doesn't hurt that much.

Would like a poll to see blood types. I don't think many people know their blood types though.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
...which brings me to a question:
Why don't we get paid to donate blood, like in the states?
Because it attracts the wrong kind of donors. Safe donors keep the system running efficiently and cut down on wastage and man hours. If they are going to have to throw out 50% of the blood because it is useless, then it does not pay them to attract donors with financial rewards. People who are willing to get up and go and donate save them a lot of money in testing and overheads. They still do test all of the blood, but there is not as much wastage.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I overcame my fears of needles by starting to donate. I never had a massive needle fear to start with, but it was there. The needle looks big, but it doesn't hurt that much.
Doing the whole needle thing 1-2x month anyway for other med reason so its not that.:eek:

O+ for the record.

Just_Ice

Executive Member
Maybe I should start a new thread for the blood types and ask a mod to set up a poll. What you think?

blunomore

Honorary Master
The person who did my HIV test, said that my blood was a very 'healthy' colour.

She probably saw how nervous I was at the procedure and tried to make small talk :)

Pixie22

Expert Member
That is understandable.

I have fairly low blood pressure too, well lower than perfect, but not too low to donate. I got dizzy and nearly fainted the last time I went, so I can imagine that low blood pressure could be dangerous when donating.

But to those who just don't donate and have no reason, it's more those people I'm wondering about. Fine if you sleep around a lot, then rather stay away, but the rest who don't, why not?

Would like a poll to see blood types. I don't think many people know their blood types though.

Don't sleep around, but I do drugs so I can't.
I don't mind needles at all.
I seem to remember A- But I could be wrong.

kiepie

Executive Member
When you need blood, can it be asked that you rather receive blood from your family/friends if they are the right blood group?

Pixie22

Expert Member
When you need blood, can it be asked that you rather receive blood from your family/friends if they are the right blood group?
If they have time, Im sure that is preferable to everyone involved.

dam

I tried that when I was in hospital, my mother was willing to donate for me but I was told that they would have to treat the blood because there can be problems using blood from direct family. That also meant that it would cost a lot more.

gboy

Expert Member
i wonted to give blood once.

I am a fit healthy male,

i am O - apparently the one that is compatible with all blood types.

ect ect prime candidate.

I went to the dentist the day before, just cus i thought i had chipped a tooth. turned out just to be a sensitive part.

the dentist used gloves, did not use any machines, apart form a mirror.

so i am honest and when asked if i saw a dentist in the last 5 days i said yes,

i told them he just used a mirror.

i was "rudely" told that he put his hands in my mouth i cannot give blood. i told them it was only a mirror, but the attitude that they had was horrific. and i was in a line, they way the dismissed me, loudly, i got looks from the other people like i was turned away because of some infectious thing.

so they have f-all chance of getting my blood.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
i was "rudely" told that he put his hands in my mouth i cannot give blood. i told them it was only a mirror, but the attitude that they had was horrific. and i was in a line, they way the dismissed me, loudly, i got looks from the other people like i was turned away because of some infectious thing.

Sucks. At least they were cautiously ignorant and not risk-taking ignorant (i.e. HIV tests aren't that important anyway kinda thing).

Just came back from some blood tests....hurts quite a bit when they miss the vein and then wiggle the needle around in there. Not sure how they missed it though...I could have done it myself and not miss.:confused:

noxibox

Honorary Master
I donate as often as allowed. I do think there is a problem with the attitude and screening though. Caution is certainly warranted, but I've seen them take it too far.

They should only be excluding intravenous drug users (according to WHO guidelines), but through prejudice more than anything else I have seen them send someone on their way because the potential donor admitted to being a casual cannabis user. Strikes me as strange that they don't ask about things like alcohol or caffeine or any number of other legal/semi-legal recreational drugs. What if I binged a few hours beforehand? But they'll turn away a healthy person who foolishly admits to trying LSD 5 years ago (seen it happen and that person goes off and tells other people not to waste their time). That's either prejudice or a nurse who is too ignorant to be allowed to be screening donors.

Paying donors would attract people who are donating just to get money. My recollection is that it not only increases the final cost of the blood, but leads to people donating too often just to get the money.

They do have trouble getting enough people to donate. I've often seen the clinics running all day with only a handful of people visiting.

Niche

It's not them who needs your blood, you're not spiting them at all, they could care less.

Giving blood shouldn't be something you need to be paid to do, it's about helping people in need, so that when your time of need arises you have people to help you.