LG is shutting down its phone business by July 31st

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Meh. The G6 was the last Okey phone they did.

Samsung killed them.

Not nearly that simple. Much more complex that than actually.

Watch the 2 excellent reviews I linked. MKBHD & Mr Mobile are masters in their field.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I wonder if any other company would be able to buy and restructure this portion of LG? Or maybe just too much of a risk.

Markd

Expert Member
I really like my G7 honestly. nice clean Android OS on it with not too much other garbage, great performance for the price - damn. I don't want a Samsung >.< Guess I'm back to Motorolla.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
LG confirms up to three Android OS updates for premium smartphones

At the start of this week, LG announced its exit from the smartphone business. Despite this, LG is now officially confirming that all of its premium smartphones released after 2019 will receive three Android OS updates. LG specifies the G and V series devices as well as its newer Velvet series and the Wing.

This means the LG G8 series, LG V50, LG V60, the trio of LG Velvets and LG Wing are all in line for upgrades up to Android 13 as they all launched with Android 10. Midrangers like the LG Stylo 6 and certain LG K-series phones from 2020 will receive two OS updates so users can expect Android 12 as their last major upgrade.

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
The recent LG phones always looked good...but I was put off by the LG KP500 that must have been their first touch screen phones back in the day. My mom had one which meant I had to operate the thing when she didn't know what to do. One of the worst phones I have ever used. Sluggish and unresponsive don't begin the explain the nightmare of the handset

R0ee1c5c76d0268345ba2582513ac670c.jpg

Claymore

Executive Member
Sad to see them go. I had a V30+, and it was overall a very decent phone. My only issue was that the camera was decent, but not as good as it should have been.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
LG reports impressive Q1 results as mobile division heads for the exit

LG announced its mobile division will be closed this year since it cannot turn profitable in the current market. However, the company's report confirms all other branches have posted a yearly increase in sales, bringing the total revenue to KRW18.8 trillion - the most LG has ever recorded between January and March.

The biggest grower was the Home Entertainment division. People staying at home resulted in recovering demand in North America and Europe - traditionally profitable markets where LG managed to expand its sales of OLED and NanoCell TVs. The upward trend is expected to continue and will be centered around premium products.

The mobile business is already performing its swan song - the final attempt to salvage what is left before operations are discontinued later this year. During Q1 2021, LG managed to sell phones worth KRW998.7 billion, which is exactly the same as Q1 2020 down to the decimal point. There were no new models launched and actions were aimed at existing models.

Sales.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
LG stops manufacturing phones today, plant is transitioning to making home appliances

LG officially confirmed its exit from the mobile business in early April, but it needed some time to wind down operations. According to reports coming out of Korea today is the last day of production for LG phones and tablets.

The company will continue to support existing devices for some time to come. Premium models will get three years of software support, you can check out the Android 11 update timeline for more details. Some models (including Q-series phones) will get Android 12, the latest premium models are expected to go up to Android 13. Users will be able to receive after-sale services for 4 years from the date of manufacture of the device.

LG Electronics’ factory in Vietnam where most LG phones were being built will be switching over to home appliances. LG had already transitioned some of its production capacity there to appliances as a way to keep smartphone factory workers employed. Remaining workers from the phone lines will be reassigned by the end of July.

Snip.JPG

Thirstycurve

Expert Member
LG shuttered its mobile division while its next line of smartphones was in active development. While those devices will never see a mass release to the public, LG sold limited numbers to employees. Now, a new video unboxing the LG Velvet 2 Pro has surfaced on YouTube.

The video, stemming from Korean channel Phonehub (h/t @FrontTron), gives us a better look at LG’s unreleased 2021 flagship and confirms several specs and features.