LG LED tv issue

charlieharper

Expert Member
I might be posting this in the wrong section... but this is technically hardware.

This morning our 55" LG smart tv started malfunctioning - around 5 months out of warranty as we got it January 2019.

It's flickering constantly - see link below for example.

After googling I'm assuming it's the LED strips, but not sure, I don't know anything about TV's.

Time to bite the bullet and get new TV or you think I should be able to get it repaired?

jbroo

I might be posting this in the wrong section... but this is technically hardware.

This morning our 55" LG smart tv started malfunctioning - around 5 months out of warranty as we got it January 2019.

It's flickering constantly - see link below for example.

After googling I'm assuming it's the LED strips, but not sure, I don't know anything about TV's.

Time to bite the bullet and get new TV or you think I should be able to get it repaired?
Is this from an HDMI feed? Could be the HDMI cable or ports. Does it flicker even when displaying built-in stuff (E.g. an app or settings menu)?

jbroo

yeap, built in as well. Def not hdmi related. :(
Could be a bad/loose connection from the mobo inside to the screen. Maybe a bad ribbon cable or whatever they use. I'd say crack it open and see, if out of warranty, otherwise contact the manufacturer.

Wrath of Khan

try unplug everything, as in all HDMI / USB cables etc.. so the tv only has the power going in (hell even put it on a different power point)

then take a movie on a USB stick and try play that, if it still flickers.. well.. there is a problem with the motherboard

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Did you pay for it with your credit card in full?

Then you may have extended warranty cover in place.

charlieharper

Expert Member
So took it in on Monday morning to a local tv repair place... The guy phoned back later the afternoon and the professionals said the screen itself is broken beyond repair and recommended we buy a new tv. And of course went to fetch the LG tv again.

Went to Makro the next day and bought a new smart tv, Samsung 55 inch Crystal UHD smart tv.
Hisense rep tried really hard to convince us to buy a Hisense, but I told him lacking Airplay, a feature we used a lot on the LG tv. The Samsung does have have Airplay, Apple TV, etc built in.

So sitting with the LG tv, not sure what to do with it, I spent some time searching online and came across this YouTube video:

This morning I thought let me try this on the "broken beyond repair tv".. worst case is, I cannot assemble it again to its original state - I'm terrible with hardware.

Opened it and carefully through trial and error, following the youtube video step by step, with a bit of trial and error, I managed to get it working again in about 20 minutes. No more flickering, stable colours, all good. Put it in the guest bedroom for now and it's been looping youtube videos, for the past 2 hours, works perfect. Feeling really proud. lol

1622376561385.png
1622376581295.png

I noticed the bright yellows on the left hand side of the screen are slightly off, but barely noticeable. But it's not like I watch the Simpsons everyday. lol

Last edited: