LG Oled CX Series - 65 or 55 inch?

Dane0987

Hi Guys,

Looking for some TV buying advice please. Makro has a good deal at the moment on the LG CX55 @ 22k. Best price I've seen for the CX65 is 45k! Slightly more than double the price. With the 65 there is of course a fair bit more screen real estate but is it worth the price difference... In the UK the price difference between the 2 models is 500 GBP which is around 10k. That for me would make choosing the 65 so much easier. But with the current SA pricing it's not that clear cut.

So with price being quite an important consideration, I'm leaning towards the CX55. This would leave me with some spare change for the PS5.

Any thoughts on this dilemma? Am I missing some important factor...

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Depends on how far you sit.

I've been trying to get a 48inch for gaming but this ****ry...

SZN

Expert Member
The CX is last years model.

So maybe wait a couple months for the C1 to launch in SA (it's already launched overseas AFAIK) and then get the CX slightly cheaper.

I've been monitoring the prices of the CX 55" for a little while now, it used to be R33k towards the end of last year, so still a good buy at R22k.

Milion

The CX55 at 22k is a good deal. The C155 will probably launch soon but will be in the 30k+ range. I paid 30k for the 55C9 in 2019, and it never got lower than 25k. I don't regret buying an Oled, the picture quality is amazing.. 55" is the right size for 2.5 - 3m distance.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
My normal viewing distance is about 3m and I've got a 65" and it's probably perfect, I honestly wouldn't mind trying something a little bigger.

I sit closer when gaming as I find it's too far away otherwise.

Get the 65", it will seem big for the first day and then you'll get used to it. Once you get a 65" you'll be glad you didn't get the 55".

FoxFire675

Get the 65", it will seem big for the first day and then you'll get used to it. Once you get a 65" you'll be glad you didn't get the 55".
I have to agree with this. If you can afford the 65" then definitely go for it.

I have a 55" C9 and a 65" Hisense ULED and majority of the time I gravitate towards the 65" because it just feels more immersive. Gaming is a mixed bag for me because I prefer the 55" for FPS games and the 65 for racing and fighting. If you decide to go with the 55" though it still a great choice and having extra $$$ to do other things like getting a premium soundbar or a PS5 is also a bonus.

Splinter

Honorary Master
My normal viewing distance is about 3m and I've got a 65" and it's probably perfect, I honestly wouldn't mind trying something a little bigger.

I sit closer when gaming as I find it's too far away otherwise.

Totally agree with you. With one caveat. If you game multiplayer online, you will generally be at a disadvantage. Your eyes simply have to travel a bit more/take in a bit more versus those playing on a smaller screen. So you will, through sheer physics, be a bit slower to react. And that's before we take us being in SA into account.

cguy

Executive Member
I have an LG 65” in the bedroom and 77” in the living room. The bigger the better unless you’re really on top of the screen.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Hi Guys,

Looking for some TV buying advice please. Makro has a good deal at the moment on the LG CX55 @ 22k. Best price I've seen for the CX65 is 45k! Slightly more than double the price. With the 65 there is of course a fair bit more screen real estate but is it worth the price difference... In the UK the price difference between the 2 models is 500 GBP which is around 10k. That for me would make choosing the 65 so much easier. But with the current SA pricing it's not that clear cut.

So with price being quite an important consideration, I'm leaning towards the CX55. This would leave me with some spare change for the PS5.

Any thoughts on this dilemma? Am I missing some important factor...

It was about R24k about 3 weeks ago? With the 65" being R44,999. A special held by LG nationally, so even Hirsch could not begin to offer a discount.

It's up to you, but as others have said, the new LG OLED range is launching.

But with SA being as farked up as it is, who knows if the CX (pronounced C10 nogal!) range will drop further.

B-1

Expert Member
55inch is a decent size. You do get used to the bigger TVs pretty quick but you won't miss out on anything buying a 55 vs 65 except maybe bragging rights.

Splinter

Honorary Master
55inch is a decent size. You do get used to the bigger TVs pretty quick but you won't miss out on anything buying a 55 vs 65 except maybe bragging rights.

Yes and no. I have the 55" in my bedroom and it works admirably. The 65" in the lounge, which I game on, is truly awesome. Dolby Vision, which is the best way to watch HD/4K content (imo), also shrinks the screen down a bit.

But, having said that - you wouldn't know the difference if you started with a 55"", and from what I saw at Hirsch's, the LG OLED CX is glorious. I have the B7, and I was so tempted to upgrade. But not worth it at the end, I reckon.

But if you are buying an OLED for the first time, I am totally jelly.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with the CX. I wouldn't wait for the new model to pick that up, but rather wait for the new model and see if the price of the CX drops.

The main thing is it conforms to the latest HDMI 2.1 spec so you should be sorted in terms of future proofing. The new model is unlikely to offer anything significant over that...

Strange

I was also eyeing the 65" LG CX, but then saw the special at Makro for the 55". I know in surface area the 65" is quite a bit bigger, but at 2x the price it was hard to justify...to the wife. :p Anyways, received the 55" CX yesterday. Big step up from my edge lit KS8500.