LG to showcase 55-inch OLED TV at CES 2012, claims it to be the world’s largest

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Sorry but I dont understand! They advertising it as LED TV how can it be LCD? Ok so tell me is the Samsung Smart Tv 2011 panel also LCD because it says LED:confused:

Marketing gimmick, manufacturer lies, etc. All creates a fake higher value among the masses who in turn pay more.

"LED TV" = LCD with LED back-lighting

"LCD TV" = LCD with CCFL back-lighting.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
I wonder what the weight of the OLED panel will be... Would be awesome to have one mounted flush on the living room wall. There will probably be an input/processing box for the screen, right? I'm sure the processor for the OLED and the HDMi inputs etc, won't be on the panel.

azbob

Honorary Master
Are there any proper (not LED backlit LCD) LED tv's available?

Roman4604

Executive Member
Some of the big names have taken a crack at it in the past, but these have been small ~15". This LG announcement is the first serious size model, however from the estimates I've seen will probably cost 3-4 times the price of similar LED.

Also its naive to think such a new technology will not have initial flaws, we'll have to wait for the first hands on reviews.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member

The only one I know of before this, is the 11" Sony XEL-1... It was announced in 2007 and cost something like R30000 (for an 11" screen!). There was also some bigger low res OLED panels, but they were not sold commercially. These upcoming offerings from Samsung and LG are really exciting. We'll see a lot of OLED screens becoming available in the next few years. Hopefully production costs will come down quickly, but they will probably artificially keep the pricing very high.

R13...

Honorary Master
The only one I know of before this, is the 11" Sony XEL-1... It was announced in 2007 and cost something like R30000 (for an 11" screen!). There was also some bigger low res OLED panels, but they were not sold commercially. These upcoming offerings from Samsung and LG are really exciting. We'll see a lot of OLED screens becoming available in the next few years. Hopefully production costs will come down quickly, but they will probably artificially keep the pricing very high.
I don't think he's asking about the OLED, only LED

W.Salie

The only one I know of before this, is the 11" Sony XEL-1... It was announced in 2007 and cost something like R30000 (for an 11" screen!).

So what a 32' would have cost something like 90k at that time lol

Anyways I think the picture quality of the high end tv's (Like the Samsung Smart TV's) to date is really cool with excellent picture quality even though its a LCD LED blacklit. I cant imagine what the OLED must look like.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
I don't think he's asking about the OLED, only LED

He's asking about proper LED TV's... All LED TV's currently available are not proper LED TV's, but LED backlit LCD's, which has been discussed earlier in this thread and in numerous threads elsewhere. OLED TV's are the only proper LED TV's.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
So what a 32' would have cost something like 90k at that time lol

Anyways I think the picture quality of the high end tv's (Like the Samsung Smart TV's) to date is really cool with excellent picture quality even though its a LCD LED blacklit. I cant imagine what the OLED must look like.

I think that screen was just brought out to say that they did it first... They weren't able to manufacture anything bigger, at the time.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Yes I see the lifespan isn't great - and it's also susceptible to burn in

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
I would hope that Samsung and LG have made some big improvements to extend the lifespan of the screen. According to Wiki, everyone has been doing research to improve the lifespan of these screens, from the historical 14000 hours to over 60000 hours. This is more than your typical LCD.

Roman4604

Executive Member
This is going to be huge.
Yeah, if there one company that always on the lookout to leapfrog the market, and has a mountain of cash in their war chest to fund R&D (in collaboration with someone ... hint, hint LG), its Apple.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Yeah, if there one company that always on the lookout to leapfrog the market, and has a mountain of cash in their war chest to fund R&D (in collaboration with someone ... hint, hint LG), its Apple.

I just read that Samsung will be doing the chips and Sharp will be doing the screens. Apparently Sharp is also developing OLED screens for the next-gen iPhone and iPad.

nfbs

Expert Member
TVs have become like PCs. You need to replace them every 4 years.

That OLED does look cool though. Hope they become standard quickly.