Lie about Elon Musk’s donation to Pretoria Boys High School exposed

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Lie about Elon Musk’s donation to Pretoria Boys High School exposed

The lie that billionaire Elon Musk has made a R1-million donation to Pretoria Boys High School, but asked never to be contacted again, has been widely circulated over the last few years.

After Musk became the world’s richest man last week, the same piece of information started doing the rounds on social media again.

It has become so pervasive that most people do not question the truth of the story. It is, however, false.

SilverCode

The headline makes it sound like Musk was the one who lied about making the donation.

Anyway, Bryanston High must be sad that they can't suckle on that tiet like Pretoria Boys High can. Missing out on crucial old boys funding because you were too lazy to deal with a student being bullied. I hope it smarts for both the principal at the time and the bullies who picked on Musk.

karnuffel

Expert Member
Hang on, so a school got a 1Million rand donation and went back later to ask for more???? Yoh....

Cray

Honorary Master
Must admit, have heard that story too, nice to see that Elon donated not once but twice.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Hang on, so a school got a 1Million rand donation and went back later to ask for more???? Yoh....

Most schools go back regularly to wealthy alumni for donations.

Granted they go with project plans for specific things they would like the alumni to help fund, its not just a blanket "Gimme Money" request.

Neuk_

Executive Member

Granted they go with project plans for specific things they would like the alumni to help fund, its not just a blanket "Gimme Money" request.

Yep, the high school that I went has had some very generous old boys, from trust funds for bursaries and pupils in need all the way to boarding houses and an aquatic centre. I have heard from old boys that the likes of Hilton and similar schools have trust or similar funds in the billions of Rands.

WollieVerstege

Yip, my former school came to me with plans to upgrade the Rugby field, stands and concession area.
2 problems that they did however not anticipate was:
1. I hate rugby and was bullied by the rugby team most of my time there.
2. The one teacher I hate the most, is now the principal.
So, I agreed to do it if I can put up a brass plaque and write on it what ever I want. I think they figured out what was going on and never contacted me again.

Pegasus

Executive Member
Yip, my former school came to me with plans to upgrade the Rugby field, stands and concession area.
2 problems that they did however not anticipate was:
1. I hate rugby and was bullied by the rugby team most of my time there.
2. The one teacher I hate the most, is now the principal.
So, I agreed to do it if I can put up a brass plaque and write on it what ever I want. I think they figured out what was going on and never contacted me again.

Should have played water polo.
I have heard good things.

Iwojima

Expert Member
Schroder added that he did indeed approach Musk again at a later stage, and that he sent a second donation to Pretoria Boys High School.

The former Pretoria Boys High School headmaster said it is well documented that Musk was bullied and an unhappy schoolboy at Bryanston High.

However, Schroder said, “there is no evidence that he was poorly treated at Boys High”.

Well, no third donation for you then I suspect

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Well he's perpetuated the cycle for not setting the record straight himself. I feel feathers for the guy. He has essentially written the country off. If I had the **** you money first on my agenda would be trying to make South Africa a better place and that starts with neutralizing the ANC. Very easy with that type of money. People in this country are fickle.