Life in jail for broke Durban woman who killed 10-year-old, and then carved out organs to sell

itareanlnotani

Executive Member
Yes, I agree. The violent crime rate in Saudi Arabia, China, UAE is just terrible. The death penalty there does not stop thousands of murders every day or tens of thousands of rape every day.
Really needs the /s tag.

Reactions: ES1

Calkem

In the words of Barry Steenkamp: "I just want to see Life sentence, mean Life in Prison for that person (Oscar), you can not take a life and not live most your life out of of prison"

Cray

Honorary Master
If there is doubt, a verdict of not guilty is returned. Not guilty does not mean the person did not commit the crime. It means there is insufficient evidence to prove guilt. The term you may have been seeking is acquitted. That means there is no evidence the accused committed the crime.
People have been wrongly convicted and given the death penalty before. Prosecutors hide evidence, they make mistakes, it's weird that people assume that everyone involved in the justice system would never make a mistake?

Is the application of the death sentence really worth putting some innocent people to death by mistake?

Grant

Honorary Master
People have been wrongly convicted and given the death penalty before. Prosecutors hide evidence, they make mistakes, it's weird that people assume that everyone involved in the justice system would never make a mistake?

Is the application of the death sentence really worth putting some innocent people to death by mistake?
Here's my take on it.
If there is sufficient evidence, and unrelated credible witnesses - then it's game on.

Cray

Honorary Master
Here's my take on it.
If there is sufficient evidence, and unrelated credible witnesses - then it's game on.
Fair enough, I would be more willing to trust a death penalty sentence given by judges than a jury. Too much politics around justice in the US though, prosecutors get elected and there is too much perception about being "tough on crime" to make me think that dodgy stuff wouldn't happen.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Fair enough, I would be more willing to trust a death penalty sentence given by judges than a jury. Too much politics around justice in the US though, prosecutors get elected and there is too much perception about being "tough on crime" to make me think that dodgy stuff wouldn't happen.
Good thing SA doesn't have juries?

Cray

Honorary Master
Good thing SA doesn't have juries?
We don't have the death penalty either.... But are at least preferable to juries as there would be less chance of mistakes being made and emotion being used to sway a verdict.

Lupus

Honorary Master
We don't have the death penalty either.... But are at least preferable to juries as there would be less chance of mistakes being made and emotion being used to sway a verdict.
Yup we have assessors instead of a jury, they are still prone to mistakes but we are only human.

Sanzer

Expert Member
This is sick - this is not the way to deal with financial difficulties. Society has really lost its moral compass.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
So… Death penalty haters: what’s your excuse now?

So... we become monsters to punish a monster?

Down that path is just darkness. But of course the nazi's on mybb will look at it differently

rvZA

Honorary Master
So... we become monsters to punish a monster?

Down that path is just darkness. But of course the nazi's on mybb will look at it differently

You want to live in a society with low rate of violent crimes? Then it is easy, you become a monster to remove a monster from society. Irrelevant of what any fake or manipulated statistic says, irrelevant of what any person think or says, the death penalty do affect violent crime statistics. Always has and always will.

Last edited:

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
You want to live in a society with low rate of violent crimes? Then it is easy, you become a monster to remove a monster from society. Irrelevant of what any fake or manipulated statistic says, irrelevant of what any person think or says, the death penalty do affect violent crime statistics. Always has and always will.

I will leave that for MyBB's nazi's thanks