Life in prison for spreading HIV

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Good, he deserves it. On these grounds though there'd be millions in SA prisons.

ebudae

And did they ask?

Did they ask whether he had HIV before sleeping with him? Did they ask him to use a condom? I.e, did they bother to take responsibility for their own health?

antowan

Honorary Master
If you know you have a deadly disease then you are responsible in my view. They should however release or cut his sentence when a cure comes out...

ebudae

If you know you have a deadly disease then you are responsible in my view. They should however release or cut his sentence when a cure comes out...
Why does someone who probably got the disease unknowingly himself suddenly have to be responsible for the health of everyone else. We all know the dangers of unprotected sex. And if I cannot be bothered to see to my own personal health, why should anyone else.

It has become an all too common phenomenon in our culture to pass the buck and not take responsibility fo our own mistakes.

If he lied when asked or refused to wear a condem, I may agree. But again they could have refused. *BTW if he raped any of them, he deserved whatever he got and probably worse.

antowan

Honorary Master
Why does someone who probably got the disease unknowingly himself suddenly have to be responsible for the health of everyone else. We all know the dangers of unprotected sex. And if I cannot be bothered to see to my own personal health, why should anyone else.

It has become an all too common phenomenon in our culture to pass the buck and not take responsibility fo our own mistakes.

If he lied when asked or refused to wear a condem, I may agree. But again they could have refused. *BTW if he raped any of them, he deserved whatever he got and probably worse.

If you read the article you would realise he knew he was sick and still didn't inform his partners of the risk. Whether they ask or not is irrelevant. It is inhumane...

Moederloos

Honorary Master
They should however release or cut his sentence when a cure comes out...
Not too sure on that one.

Let us take it to extremes.
I beat someone to the point where they cannot walk. I get sentenced to 20 years. 10 years later someone does fantastic work on nerve regeneration and "cure" my victim - should I now be let free?

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
Yeah, and ebudae, maybe you are a woman who lives in a culture that upholds your rights to say no, if not, don't speak for everyone out there - just my take.

TiredOfWaiting

Expert Member
I know, hormones are really pesky.

I wouldn't be able to refuse an offer from a supermodel, no matter what disease she has...