Life was better before the mine opened: Hard times hit mining villages

ForceFate

Honorary Master
we all started in hostels and co habiting.
That is a good salary and most gets living allowances or a hostel they can use.
It's a good salary if your family (financial) background is good. Their reality may be different from yours.

Mila

Honorary Master
It's a good salary if your family (financial) background is good. Their reality may be different from yours.
Most people in mining towns’s family financial backgrounds are not good so i’m Not sure what you are implying.
It’s a good starting salary, there are worse places to start from .
We can not blame employers for employees’s shyt financial habits.
As an entry salary with no experience that is a good salary. No ifs and buts. It’s not minimum wage and most mines have other benefits including housing allowances.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Most people in mining towns’s family financial backgrounds are not good so i’m Not sure what you are implying.
It’s a good starting salary, there are worse places to start from .
We can not blame employers for employees’s shyt financial habits.
As an entry salary with no experience that is a good salary. No ifs and buts. It’s not minimum wage and most mines have other benefits including housing allowances.
Not putting blame on the employers. Read my post.

dlk001

Executive Member
A contributing factor in my opinion is also that many mine workers simply have no proper financial plan in place to deal with closures. No rainy day savings fund whatsoever. And these are people that are generally pretty well payed depending on the position they hold in the mind of course.
Anglo is exiting mines in Australia, Brazil, Chile, Canada, South Africa. A main contributing factor was commodity prices which has resulted in Anglo's Tier-1 strategy.

Anglo will also not invest capital into an underground mine that is not mechanized. That is also part of the Tier-1 strategy. Mechanization also benefits Anglo's 2023 goal for Zero Harm.

R13...

Honorary Master
Anglo is exiting mines in Australia, Brazil, Chile, Canada, South Africa. A main contributing factor was commodity prices which has resulted in Anglo's Tier-1 strategy.

Anglo will also not invest capital into an underground mine that is not mechanized. That is also part of the Tier-1 strategy. Mechanization also benefits Anglo's 2023 goal for Zero Harm.
Interesting. I know they're going underground on their diamond mine in musina. Don't think it'll be fully mechanised though. Saw some of what they plan to do there, it'll be high tech.

dlk001

Executive Member
Interesting. I know they're going underground on their diamond mine in musina. Don't think it'll be fully mechanised though. Saw some of what they plan to do there, it'll be high tech.
Yeah, that's because sub-level-caving (SLC) mining method is mostly mechanised with very little exposure of people to safety risks and great tech indeed. The mine is the future of DeBeers mining. It is great for Musina.

The SLC is an old mining method used to mine Kimberlite pipes. The Thabazimbi Iron Ore mountains were mined underground using an earlier version called Open Stoping in the 1930s.

Last edited: