LightSpeed Broadband battle – Telkom versus Cybersmart

ellyally

Expert Member
“Telkom’s use of the term in some of our advertising is in the descriptive sense to describe the speed of the broadband service and, therefore, we believe we are entitled to use the terms “lightspeed”, “light-speed” and “the speed of light” in conjunction with the Telkom name,” she said.

True, but then, why have you spelt it 'LightSpeed'?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
A really important lesson to always register the names and related marketing IP you use as part of the pre-launch process

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Lightspeed is not in the dictionary....

I think this is the crux of it.

Can probably be resolved by just separating the two words.
However, If I was Telkom I would avoid using the terminology altogether. Using lightspeed or light speed or the speed of light in any of their marketing will link fiber with those terms and because Cybersmart owns the domain its going to mean that they will get a lot of those search hits.

cozinsky

Expert Member
Free advice to Telkom: Walk away. You will lose this one.

Some free advice to you: No, they won't. Lightspeed is a generic term so it is free to use. I doubt whether Cyberstart registered the trade name or that it is even registerable because of its generic nature.

eddief1

Expert Member
Telkom....feeling the FTTH competition !!! Great to be part of the FTTH revolution and at the same time watching Telkom's market share fall :) You have treated us like fools all these years, time for some payback

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Some free advice to you: No, they won't. Lightspeed is a generic term so it is free to use. I doubt whether Cyberstart registered the trade name or that it is even registerable because of its generic nature.

Let's see!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
They shouldn't be allowed to use the term. Either of them. It implies fast and is thus not representative of the state of Internet in sa at all.

ellyally

Expert Member
They shouldn't be allowed to use the term. Either of them. It implies fast and is thus not representative of the state of Internet in sa at all.

Indeed, perhaps they should be saying 'broadband' has finally arrived in SA

Swa

Honorary Master
Sadly in SA it seems products and their descriptions don't have to be related. Guess Lightspeed will just become synonymous with fast internet as broadband has become synonymous with slow internet. Maybe we'll end up with broadband sometime somewhere.