Lightspeed / Cybersmart eMail Support / Fibre Status Useless.

Anthro

Expert Member
My building was added to the Cybersmart list after convincing the body corporate to have all owners sign up (and pay for installs) R3500 all in
I signed up and was notified my order is in progress, and that I could email "status" to query any updates / ask any questions.
It has been a week now, with zero replies.
:sick:

Anthro

Expert Member
Some movement at long last.
I have the fibre in my flat, now awaiting router install.
Will update as I go along

Anthro

Expert Member
Install scheduled for 5PM this afternoon.
Will update on what can, and cant be done on / to the router and infrastructure

Anthro

Expert Member
Cybersmart uses Mikrotik routers and you won't get access to it.

They arrived with not a mikrotik, but some other router.
Attenuation issues looks like a fibre break in my install - need to redo entire run.

saturnz

Honorary Master
My building was added to the Cybersmart list after convincing the body corporate to have all owners sign up (and pay for installs) R3500 all in
I signed up and was notified my order is in progress, and that I could email "status" to query any updates / ask any questions.
It has been a week now, with zero replies.
:sick:

is this Marlboro mansion?

saturnz

Honorary Master
Yup.. 100% correct
Hello Neighbour ;-) ??

lol, not quite

your installation is a direct result of the installation I orchestrated in my building

the Cybersmart rep your building has been liaising with is a long time friend who assisted me with my installation and the IT consultant that your chairman (I think) knows and that's working together with Cybersmart is also a long time friend.

I was with them having coffee about 3 weeks ago when the Cybersmart rep received the phonecall that they received the greenlight to start the installation in the complex.

glad to see its finally being installed, its been over a year, but not due to Cybersmart

Gnome

Executive Member
Cybersmart uses Mikrotik routers and you won't get access to it.

It depends what the back haul network is.

Cybersmart uses DFA in my area and I didn't get a Mikrotik. I had full access to the router and more importantly, the link to my apartment was 1000base-LX (gigabit ethernet over fibre).

Whereas a lot of other backhaul networks use passive networks that require special equipment.

I don't even use the router they gave me, simply have a fibre to copper media converter and connected that directly to my PfSense box which creates a PPPoE session with my username and password.

Anthro

Expert Member
lol, not quite

your installation is a direct result of the installation I orchestrated in my building

the Cybersmart rep your building has been liaising with is a long time friend who assisted me with my installation and the IT consultant that your chairman (I think) knows and that's working together with Cybersmart is also a long time friend.

I was with them having coffee about 3 weeks ago when the Cybersmart rep received the phonecall that they received the greenlight to start the installation in the complex.

glad to see its finally being installed, its been over a year, but not due to Cybersmart

I've been using WiFi from "The Beaumont" across the road for about 2 years now, saw it was Cybersmart backbone
Then I initiated a request for themto approach BC.. nothing came from it if I read what you are saying.

Flip, their communication s bad when it comes to people wanting to change packages etc !

I had a scheduled apppointment for yesterday 5-5:30 - guy was only at my flat after 7 (bless his hardworking soul)
He then left to go get some more equipment to make 100% sure whats wrong, finally left my flat at 9pm !
Supposedly / hopefully I will be done by this evening

Anthro

Expert Member

Cybersmart uses DFA in my area and I didn't get a Mikrotik. I had full access to the router and more importantly, the link to my apartment was 1000base-LX (gigabit ethernet over fibre).

Whereas a lot of other backhaul networks use passive networks that require special equipment.

I don't even use the router they gave me, simply have a fibre to copper media converter and connected that directly to my PfSense box which creates a PPPoE session with my username and password.

I am hoping to do the same as it's DFA based - but I dont think will be able to. (or even know why I cannot get access)
I have a pecuilar setup for WiFi, MAC filtering, DNS and DHCP

Last edited:

saturnz

Honorary Master
I've been using WiFi from "The Beaumont" across the road for about 2 years now, saw it was Cybersmart backbone
Then I initiated a request for themto approach BC.. nothing came from it if I read what you are saying.

yeah I also have my doubts. As I understand it, Cybersmart entered that complex on the referral of my IT friend, and I introduced my IT friend to the Cybersmart rep- they sort of work together these days

if I recall correctly you had a problem with your intercom system or something and that's how my IT guy got into the complex and then got the ball rolling for the fibre

we have their top of the line product, so service and communication is always fast, I can't say I've had much problems with them

Last edited:

Anthro

Expert Member
yeah I also have my doubts. As I understand it, Cybersmart entered that complex on the referral of my IT friend, and I introduced my IT friend to the Cybersmart rep- they sort of work together these days

if I recall correctly you had a problem with your intercom system or something and that's how my IT guy got into the complex and then got the ball rolling for the fibre

we have their top of the line product, so service and communication is always fast, I can't say I've had much problems with them

Well, heres the deal with my complex they sold the "Free Fibre" package to the Body Corporate.
All owners paid install fees (R3500?)
I then decided .. I want uncapped !
Placed the order and was told, all good !
Now what I was not aware of, is that this would carry a R5000 install fee.. yikes
So, Ive opted to stay with the "Free data, and then to "topup" as I go, until I can change to Uncapped..
I wonder if they will atleast allow me to change the WiFi, as it contains my name at the moment, and I dont like that (privacy i important to me)
I also have a decent router and other devices for ad blocking and DHCP which I wont be able to use (possibly)

Insofar as the quality of the service goes, never had any issues even connected to beaumont via 2.4Ghz - always been stable

saturnz

Honorary Master
when I was told about that free internet for life thing I was not a fan of it, I'm not sure why the BC agreed to it- but I think it had to do with the fact that the BC's main concern was the intercom or something that needed fibre to continue running and this was sort of a way to kill two birds with one stone

Anthro

Expert Member
when I was told about that free internet for life thing I was not a fan of it, I'm not sure why the BC agreed to it- but I think it had to do with the fact that the BC's main concern was the intercom or something that needed fibre to continue running and this was sort of a way to kill two birds with one stone

Very likely.
Im going to try throw money at them and see if I can atleast setup my own damn network

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep

Thank you for the information! This setup is what I would prefer as well, but we can't all get what we want. :D

Gnome

Executive Member
My setup as it is today:
resized.jpg

This is all beneath a bed (I moved it out of the way), that is why it looks so disorganized.

Fiber: Chased into the wall. Bought a 10m bend insensitive cable and the joined outside the apartment with a simple connector to the Cybersmart owned cable.
Power: Dedicated plug that goes to my backup power (inverter with battery and auto switch over)
Ethernet: All wired into my apartment, the one in the wall goes to my wifi access point

The media converter runs off of 5-9v so I just made my own USB connector to power it from the PfSense box.

Last edited:

Anthro

Expert Member
Techie did not pitch yesterday, wont today either im sure.
This is me currently
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-10 at 12.10.40.jpg

Router has port, just need SFP
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-10 at 12.16.25.jpg

Last edited:

Anthro

Expert Member
Useless.

1 more day has come and gone, zero response from Cybersmart.
Feel like driving to their offices for an in person chat. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good day Cybersmart.
Thank you for a very informative email.
Thursday was an unsucessful day for this install.

Unfortunately it looks as if your Fibre cable to the inside of my flat was damaged by the initial installers by tacking a saddle onto a corner and breaking the optic fibre.

Thank you to xxx and his co-worker who eventually arrived at 7PM (that's commitment !) then driving back to the office to get his testing equipment coming back and finding that there is no sync on the line as a result of the break (+/-9.15PM he left - thank you for efforts)
xxx said he would try and get some of his Team to come and correct the break on Friday. no one arrived unfortunately (planning team miscommunication maybe?)

Two things I would like to get clarity on
1. I have a SFP capable router - can I use this router as it is already configured with my own WiFi settings, and DHCP range of 192.168.100.1/27
2. If I cannot use my own router, will I atleast have access to the router to change security settings. (as I have noticed you are broadcasting my name in the WiFi) - this is a privacy concern for me, as well as some port forwards required in my network are necessary.

I would really like to experience this "400Mbps" service you brag about guys. !

Anthro

Expert Member