Likely ADSL speed with these readings

Dubes

Expert Member
Hi,

I'm considering getting Uncapped ADSL installed as no fibre in the area. Online it says up to 40Mbps but we all know this is unlikely. A Telkom technician showed me the attached numbers. It shows a possible 27Mbps but noise fails.

IMG-20210430-WA0003.jpg

What stable speeds am I likely to get?

The alternative is MTN LTE with a tested 40Mbps speed but then I'm capped at 200Gb for the same price.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi,

I'm considering getting Uncapped ADSL installed as no fibre in the area. Online it says up to 40Mbps but we all know this is unlikely. A Telkom technician showed me the attached numbers. It shows a possible 27Mbps but noise fails.

View attachment 1060735

What stable speeds am I likely to get?

The alternative is MTN LTE with a tested 40Mbps speed but then I'm capped at 200Gb for the same price.

Attenuation at 4.2 and 5.1 means 40Mbps stable with significant headroom for noise variations.

The technician omitted that the numbers change when you change modulation type to VDSL2.

Your line will handle 40Mbps VDSL2 with ease.

Dubes

Expert Member
Attenuation at 4.2 and 5.1 means 40Mbps stable with significant headroom for noise variations.

The technician omitted that the numbers change when you change modulation type to VDSL2.

Your line will handle 40Mbps VDSL2 with ease.
Thank you. What about that SNR 6 Fail that he refers to?

And, sorry for the ignorance, but how is "modulation type" changed?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thank you. What about that SNR 6 Fail that he refers to?

And, sorry for the ignorance, but how is "modulation type" changed?

The reason it's low like that is because you are at close to the max of ADSL2+ which is 24Mbps.

At the distance from the dslam you are at now VDSL2 will handle noise better and that value might actually increase.

You are currently on 20Mbps. If you have a VDSL2 supported modem change to VDSL2 and see the stats change. Upload will also jumps from 1Mbps max to 5Mbps on VDSL2.

The Modulation is changed by Openserve. Depending on your ISP this is something they should be able to assist with.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The reason it's low like that is because you are at close to the max of ADSL2+ which is 24Mbps.
Tick.
At the distance from the dslam you are at now VDSL2 will handle noise better and that value might actually increase.
24 Mbps might increase.
You are currently on 20Mbps. If you have a VDSL2 supported modem change to VDSL2 and see the stats change. Upload will also jumps from 1Mbps max to 5Mbps on VDSL2.
The max might increase to 5 Mbps max. The only value that will matter is what the average actually turns out to be.
The Modulation is changed by Openserve. Depending on your ISP this is something they should be able to assist with.

Entirely dependent on OS reconfiguring the service to VDSL2!

Dubes

Expert Member
The Openserve chap, without any further testing, has asked me to tell the ISP to downgrade my package from 40Mbps to 20Mbps. Based on the above I am not keen. I'd rather try to get more

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The Openserve chap, without any further testing, has asked me to tell the ISP to downgrade my package from 40Mbps to 20Mbps. Based on the above I am not keen. I'd rather try to get more
That is because they don't want to be bothered with having to specially set the line up for proper VDSL2 working.