Linksys X3500 modem router to Vumatel CPE

JPRinZA

The day arrived - at last - Vumatel finally switched on in our area.
Thanks to Cell C for the free access till the end of May ....

The problem. How to link my existing Linksys X3500 ADSL Modem / Router to the Vumatel CPE directly. I have connected a network cable from the CPE to the WAN / CABLE port directly, I get a blue light, but no connection to the internet.

The only way I have got my Linksys to work is to connect the CPE to the CELL C provided WIFI router then to my Linksys device. .....

Help. Anyone ?
JP

Sinbad

Honorary Master
The day arrived - at last - Vumatel finally switched on in our area.
Thanks to Cell C for the free access till the end of May ....

The problem. How to link my existing Linksys X3500 ADSL Modem / Router to the Vumatel CPE directly. I have connected a network cable from the CPE to the WAN / CABLE port directly, I get a blue light, but no connection to the internet.

The only way I have got my Linksys to work is to connect the CPE to the CELL C provided WIFI router then to my Linksys device. .....

Help. Anyone ?
JP
Call vumatel support. They need to make some changes, since they authenticate based on the mac address of the device connected to the CPE

DERoestorf

Call vumatel support. They need to make some changes, since they authenticate based on the mac address of the device connected to the CPE
The answer is easier than that. The router is not WAN enabled. So you cannot use it.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I wanna know if I can get an SFP for my mikrotik and just plug the fibre straight in :D

Genisys

Executive Member
I wanna know if I can get an SFP for my mikrotik and just plug the fibre straight in :D
I think you are using a RB2011. Why not run a flylead from your CPE to Eth1 on the mikrotik? There is a SFP module for the RB2011 that can do Passive, not sure if it will work though.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I think you are using a RB2011. Why not run a flylead from your CPE to Eth1 on the mikrotik? There is a SFP module for the RB2011 that can do Passive, not sure if it will work though.
Yeah that's the plan... just wanted to be extra geeky :D

DERoestorf

he says it works if he connects it to the cell c router ;)
Yes, it will work then, as then it acts as an extender. When he tries to connect it directly to the CPE, the router cannot apply the necessary settings, and thus can't connect. That is why you need a router with a WAN port.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Yes, it will work then, as then it acts as an extender. When he tries to connect it directly to the CPE, the router cannot apply the necessary settings, and thus can't connect. That is why you need a router with a WAN port.
" I have connected a network cable from the CPE to the WAN / CABLE port directly, "

Needs to get Vuma to update on their side, seriously.

DERoestorf

" I have connected a network cable from the CPE to the WAN / CABLE port directly, "

Needs to get Vuma to update on their side, seriously.
He could not have, as per the Linksys website, it is not a WAN enabled router. So he could not have.

JPRinZA

Thanks for the input here guys.

The X3500 has a number of Ethernet ports (4 I think) an ADSL port, for the phone line, and an RJ45 size (normal CAT 5 connector) marked CABLE.

I am assuming the WAN port is the CABLE port. I just dont know if its the settings on the software side of things that is stopping it from connecting properly. What is the correct mode for the Router in the software of the router. Under Ethernet you have : Auto Config (DHCP), Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Telstra cable .... as options

I will call vumatel to see if its a MAC address issue or not ... Did not think of this.

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Your ISP would need to release your IP from the current MAC binding and then you would need to plug into the WAN port on the new router and set your router to obtain IP automatically

FLHEM

Thanks for the input here guys.

The X3500 has a number of Ethernet ports (4 I think) an ADSL port, for the phone line, and an RJ45 size (normal CAT 5 connector) marked CABLE.

I am assuming the WAN port is the CABLE port. I just dont know if its the settings on the software side of things that is stopping it from connecting properly. What is the correct mode for the Router in the software of the router. Under Ethernet you have : Auto Config (DHCP), Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Telstra cable .... as options

I will call vumatel to see if its a MAC address issue or not ... Did not think of this.
Had the same problem a while back. Just keep your router on DHCP auto, and then call your ISP to reset your MAC.