Linux Distros - Where To Download Locally.

MyWorld

Executive Member
Not that I know of, and it would be a bit useless since the RPM's that I looked for on RPMfind was usually individual projects or updates not listed yet in distro repositories, in other words, it will be hosted internationally.

Why you need it?

Sn00zE

Last edited:
For Netbook.

Guys, all the info in this thread has been great. Please advise me on how to do the following.

I have a netbook (Lenovo S10E) which has no Optical drive. I want to download Ubuntu 9.04 from a local server as cap is an issue. Is this possible, if so then how do I go about installing it safetly with the dual boot option.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I currently have XP Pro loaded.

Last edited:

CrzWaco

Expert Member
Guys, all the info in this thread has been great. Please advise me on how to do the following.

I have a netbook (Lenovo S10E) which has no Optical drive. I want to download Ubuntu 9.04 from a local server as cap is an issue. Is this possible, if so then how do I go about installing it safetly with the dual boot option.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I currently have XP Pro loaded.
Yes you can use one of the local ftp servers to download it. ftp://ftp.saix.co.za/pub/linux/distributions/Ubuntu/ubuntu-releases/
Since you don't have a Optical drive install something like daemon tools. Then mount the cd image of ubuntu and install it from windows, all you do then is pick the size you want to allocate to ubuntu. Simple and easy.

There are some Linux that can be installed from usb.

Yes you can use one of the local ftp servers to download it. ftp://ftp.saix.co.za/pub/linux/distributions/Ubuntu/ubuntu-releases/
Since you don't have a Optical drive install something like daemon tools. Then mount the cd image of ubuntu and install it from windows, all you do then is pick the size you want to allocate to ubuntu. Simple and easy.

There are some Linux that can be installed from usb.

Many Thanks for that info, I will be sure to try it out.

No luck, I downloaded the netbook remix image. Its gives the following error message when mounting with deamon tools and trying to open it through My Computer.

WINDOWS CANNOT READ FROM THIS DISK. THE DISK MIGHT BE CORRUPTED, OR IT COULD BE USING A FORMAT WHICH IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS.

Guys, please help as soon as possible.