• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Linux Distros - Where To Download Locally.

thriel

We have contacted Saix, Web Africa, IS and not a single one of them will host local links for makululinux :(

I get more support out of the country than i do inside the country... ( talking about hosts and sponsors, not userbase, the people in SA have been amazing in their support :) )

Last edited:

graviti

Have you spoken to any of the universities? Most of them have ftp sites and mirrors. They also have huge bandwidth. (I'm thinking Stellies and Tuks here) But I hear you on the big boys issue.

Bond

James Bond
hi, do you know of a site here in sa where i can order/purchase linux distro's online and have it posted to me?
so far ive only found online shops in usa n stuff.
Which era you exactly from? :D You could try BidorBuy. Wait, did I just say that? That's just too old school man. Do you school or work or something? Download the damn thing. FREE, quick and easy. If you have no means and really desperate, I can, or any MyBB member can do it for you, then only thing you have to do is pay shipping costs.

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
Hi Bro
thanxx a lot for the offer.
my download speed is.....#@%$*#

but after searching on the linux online vendor list's i found a grrrreat site!
care to have a look? www.linuxos.co.za
i ordered this: http://linuxos.co.za/index.php?route=product/product&path=28_71&product_id=124

pretty damn cheap, R20 bux postage n R75 for the actual thing:D
btw bidorbuy is hopeless !
Not that cheap. Not cheap at all. I'd take up Slab's offer if I were you. Someone here might just charge you postage, or even if they are close enough, meet up with you (in a public place, duh!) and give said discs to you.

FFF4Skin

I will sadly always download debian and whatever it needs from germany :(

These local mirrors disappoint ;(

Tinuva

The Magician
I will sadly always download debian and whatever it needs from germany :(

These local mirrors disappoint ;(
What is wrong with the local mirrors thats better on the german ones? I would like to know honestly, perhaps we can get the local ones fixed.

FFF4Skin

To many fails from ac.za

packages are sometimes so outdated...

also debian originated from le germans and its the official repo so I am all good with feel relieved, if theres an Fup then its a bug you can easily report :(

I suppose we could make it as transparent as possible locally, but this is ZA and cANCer is every where :(

Tinuva

The Magician
Fair enough, mirror.ac.za does have it's issues.

ftp.wa.co.za should be good, although it has a lot of the archs excluded from syncing, but it syncs from rsync://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian which is a good source.

It also has scripts that customize the syncing, for example:
1. It syncs in all new packages 1st, without deleting old packages, also not updating the package databases.
2. Once that sync complete, next sync is run immediately which then syncs in the package databases, and delete old removed packages and sync again if new packages happened to be added while previous sync ran.
3. If any files disappeared in sync 2, it starts over with sync 1, else go idle until next sync run.

I also haven't had issues yet with debian.mirror.neology.co.za which is sometimes in my sources.list file, mostly because it is one of the mirrors you can choose during install time.

internetless

I found this the other day when I downloaded the latest Ubuntu. A worthwhile addition IMO: ftp://ftp.wa.co.za/pub/

Being a WebAfrica server, I wonder if they allow you to download from a WA account without affecting your cap, like their WAGE servers.
Yes, ftp://ftp.wa.co.za/pub/ is a FreeZone server, so downloads from there do not count towards your cap. I've used this a couple of times, and checked my usage to confirm that it is free. Great option for capped WebAfrica users!

Bar0n

Executive Member
As the title says - linux distros and where to download locally for those of us who wish to save bandwidth - can a mod please sticky this - will add links as people provide them. The reason for this - local bandwidth is cheap - some ftp's are often slow while others are fast - most stock the same distro's with one or two discrepancies here and there - but this at least allows you to see which site is fastest for your download while being able to use local bandwidth - thanks to all who contribute.

Edit: Have pm'd bwana to sticky this - if you find it useful and would not like to see it fade in to obscurity then I suggest you do the same. Happy Hunting.

J

So far:

ftp://ftp.up.ac.za/
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.za/
ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/
ftp://ftp.sun.ac.za/
ftp://ftp.is.co.za/ (thanks highflyer_gp)
ftp://ftp.uwc.ac.za/ (thanks swift-wp)
ftp://ftp.saix.co.za/pub/linux/distributions/ (thanks myworld)
http://mirrors.telkomsa.net/pub/linux/ (thanks froot)

Thread updated as of 29/12/08
You can also add mirror.ufs.ac.za to that list.