Linux for the masses - is it feasible?

Brian_G

Executive Member
"line 18: /bin/plymouth: not found" sounds like a missing system file?

There hasn't been further s/w updates for a couple of days as I've not been back online with the PC (modem/router fault being attended to, not related).

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Try this:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

Also, what version of Lubuntu you running? A recent one?

The laptop screen on my laptop that runs Ubuntu has gone, it doesnt work. I wont be able to replace it. So I hope to go many years without an error, and *touch wood* its still running as strong as the day I installed it. In that time period, your poor systems have had multiple issues. I really hope we can work them out for you.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Result is
sh: sudo: not found

Maybe not found related to wrong directory? Can't recall how to get to the root or change directories though, still a noob with this dos.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Summary:
Linux best used for specialized server applications , ie Web Servers , DNS (Bind) etc
Windows: best for users and businesses to run there internal IT systems
Right now I feel like agreeing. Not ready to label it that way though, many basic users seem happy enough long term.

Brian_G

Executive Member
I've since tried;
sudo -i
sudo -s

su -

All give similar not found errors, so presume parts of the basic system isn't even loaded?

Later... and thanks again.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Fixed.

Here's what I eventually found that did it, from https://askubuntu.com/questions/137655/boot-drops-to-a-initramfs-prompts-busybox
(Using my own partition details of course.)

Definitely not for basic use with this kind of error being possible.

While at initramfs console, I passed a command exit to come out of the shell. The same console was presented before me but this time with the exact name of the partition that got corrupted.
BusyBox v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) exit

/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck exited with status code 4.
The root filesystem on /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root requires a manual fsck.

(initramfs) fsck /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root -y

fsck from util-linux 2.27.1
e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root contains a file system with errors, check forced.

After the checking is done, I rebooted the system.

(initramfs) reboot

If reboot doesn't work, try exit.
and that's it, I got back into the filesystem without any errors.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Mine is damaged though - can't see mouse cursor until a blind opening of an app and then it's an "X", don't have a second working area anymore, Firefox min/max environment etc. controls missing and its menus half crippled.

Will see how it behaves after next update, next week, if needed will have to redo and without the older Zorin base that's most suspect with many of my past issues.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Summary:
Linux best used for specialized server applications , ie Web Servers , DNS (Bind) etc
Windows: best for users and businesses to run there internal IT systems
The exception to that is if you need a desktop PC with smaller updates that install faster which is where windows is terrible.

Dedicated Mac user here - for the availability of zsh, bash, superior memory management and large file handling.

Three weeks ago I started an experiment - I got a new RPi 4 Model B 8GB with an UHS Class 3 256GB SD to see if I can make it my daily driver. It's running Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop ARM64. I'll admit, I'm overclocking. Had fs dismount issues at 2.0GHz so scaled back down to 1.8GHz. The Mac has been booted up 3 times in this period.

My biggest obstacle has been software availability on DEB/ARM64. Yet I'm 3 weeks in and posting from this little thing.

newklear

Expert Member
MacOS is Linux
No it's not.
I also heard this the other day when two dev's were at each other's throats on 'which one's daddy drives the fastest car'.

Mac OS is based on a BSD Unix build. Linux is it's own development of a unix like system and not cross object code compatible with MacOS.

No it's not.
I also heard this the other day when two dev's were at each other's throats on 'which one's daddy drives the fastest car'.

Mac OS is based on a BSD Unix build. Linux is it's own development of a unix like system and not cross object code compatible with MacOS.
I respect that. I really do. However, in 2004, the only over-the-counter Unix-based laptop was a Mac. I've spent over 30 years in Unix. Mac was necessary.

Dedicated Mac user here - for the availability of zsh, bash, superior memory management and large file handling.

Three weeks ago I started an experiment - I got a new RPi 4 Model B 8GB with an UHS Class 3 256GB SD to see if I can make it my daily driver. It's running Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop ARM64. I'll admit, I'm overclocking. Had fs dismount issues at 2.0GHz so scaled back down to 1.8GHz. The Mac has been booted up 3 times in this period.

My biggest obstacle has been software availability on DEB/ARM64. Yet I'm 3 weeks in and posting from this little thing.
I would like to re-focus here. In entered the conversation for "Linux for the masses", not "is MacOS Linux"

richjdavies

Expert Member
Answer is depends on what you mean by "the masses"
Answer is, its better than an exploited xp/win7 alternative.

Is it hard to run very old hardware on the internet. Yes... updates are a fact of life if you're letting your computer see the world. Suck it up or buy new hardware.