Linux laptops alive in South Africa

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Linux laptops alive in South Africa

While it may serve a small niche in South Africa, Dell has been offering laptops that run Ubuntu Linux for years.

This is according to Chris Buchanan, client solutions director at Dell EMC in South Africa.

Sl8er

Executive Member
From now on, when anyone comes to me with computer issues -and they don't game or have any special software requirements- I'm just going to recommend they move over to Linux.

jammio

From now on, when anyone comes to me with computer issues -and they don't game or have any special software requirements- I'm just going to recommend they move over to Linux.

Jokes on you if they listen.

Sparky_za

Expert Member
Would a link to the site where you can order one be too much to ask MyBB?
Every one I have tried says it is not available for online purchase.
Then where exactly is it available?

JustAsk

Expert Member
I actually did that the other day. Took someone's laptop who had constant Windows problems with it, wiped it and slap win-lookalike Linux Lite on it. Didn't even tell him its not windows, the distro even comes with desktop launchers like Control Panel, User Files, Recycle Bin, This PC.
A week later the chap goes like ' Daai Windows wat jy opgesit het vlieg jong"

JustAsk

Expert Member
Impressive.... Hope pricing is less than windows machines.
Pricing can even be the same, don't care. But more importantly, what we need is entry level linux laptops. Every native linux laptop is overpriced, like they seemed to think you buy some unicorn.

Sl8er

Executive Member
I actually did that the other day. Took someone's laptop who had constant Windows problems with it, wiped it and slap win-lookalike Linux Lite on it. Didn't even tell him its not windows, the distro even comes with desktop launchers like Control Panel, User Files, Recycle Bin, This PC.
A week later the chap goes like ' Daai Windows wat jy opgesit het vlieg jong"

:ROFL::thumbsup:

Sollie

Executive Member
I once suggest a colleague do that, although with a dual boot, after fixing an issue. His initial problem was his internet was extremely slow. After the fix his Windows was back to normal, but he saw the Ubuntu as turbo mode.

zamicro

Expert Member
Would a link to the site where you can order one be too much to ask MyBB?
Every one I have tried says it is not available for online purchase.
Then where exactly is it available?

I agree. I had to import one from the US last year.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
For Dell who sell thousands/millions of devices? Pretty sure it's more like <$30 as you can get them aftermarket for that/less of a price.

Yep, that's the price directly to OEMs and system builders. The aftermarket options aren't really comparable since those are grey keys anyway.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Price?

It's worth it just to lower the stress when windows does all that un-necessary background stuff

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Buy any newish Dell and just install an Ubuntu variety of Linux on it (I use Mint).